2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)


Tuesday, September 29, 2015

2015 Run for Ryan House Half Marathon

Okay this was one strange and unusual race. This is the third time I've done this race...It is a race that has kicked me when I was down twice before and the third time was no different.

The race started at 7:00am and it was about 55 degrees and very windy. This is an incredibly small race and I knew that I would be at the back of the pack the whole time.

I started the race at a slow and comfortable pace, not worrying about being at the back of the pack. The first part of the race was mostly downhill - that's great, but that means we're going uphill later. I was thrown off because I didn't see any mile markers - turns out, they were there, but the wind blew them over.  I'm having Avengers deja vu.

I was doing my 45 second walk/30 second run intervals and honestly I was feeling really good. My legs were feeling fantastic - probably the best they've felt in quite some time. Still I was trying to keep it slow and easy. I finished the 5K at a 14:15 per mile pace.

Then the tough part of the course came...and I truly remembered why this race is so tough. Here was the uphill, and this isn't Florida overpass hill, it's a good mile of steady climb. If that isn't bad enough it was in to the wind the whole way. And I walked...no shame in that, figured I'd save myself for the last half of the race.

Still feeling good even with the hill and at the 10K point I was still at a 14:41 per mile pace. I'm okay with that. I had been drinking water, but not every mile because I wasn't able to see the mile markers. There were water stops every two miles and I took a Gatorade at each one. I felt like I was drinking enough.

Remember all the downhill in the beginning? Yep, now it's all back uphill. By mile 8 I was starting to feel tired. My legs were still doing okay, but I was just dragging a bit. Still I was trying to run/walk as best I could. I was beginning to wonder if I was going to be able to finish the race at about the 9 mile point.

I kept going and I finally hit the 10 mile point and I was at a 15:16 per mile pace. Perfectly fine pace for the course, but then things just went very weird.

I am walking along and all of a sudden I think I have to sit down, I have to stop. This doesn't make sense, what's going on. I just started feeling quite odd. I wasn't hurting in my legs, my breathing was not fantastic, but under control, and still I felt like my body wasn't under my control. It was really all I could do to put one foot in front of the other. I would look at my feet and it was as if someone else was controlling them.  I struggled to keep lifting my feet and moving them forward.

Finally, at 10.63 miles I came to an intersection with two police and I asked if there was anyone picking people up if they needed to stop. They said they'd check and see what they could find out. At this point I just needed to stop and there were only three people behind me and I knew they'd be catching up soon. I stood there, took off my watch, put my headphones away and finished my water. Here comes the next person and she tries to coax me in to finishing, but I'm just not feeling it. I'm swollen and I am pretty sure I am dehydrated which doesn't make sense with the amount of water and Gatorade I have had to drink.

Here come the last two people and the bike that has been following them. He informs me that his radio is dead, but he'll go ahead and find someone. The last two women encourage me to keep going with them. I walk a while longer and I'm just feeling like this is going to kill me. Then the bike guy comes back and tells me that someone will get me right around the next corner. This coincided with the next water stop.

I get there and talk to two race officials and he said he would pull his truck around and the other guy waited with me. I asked how close we were to being done and he said about a mile. I couldn't really pull off with a mile left. The volunteers were packing up the water stop, but I saw a guy carrying bottled water. I asked if I could have one and he told me they ran out and he had to go to the store to get some, but sure I could have one.  I let him know that he was my lifesaver today!

So, on I went trying to catch up to the last two people and the bike. It took a while, but I did finally catch them and they were great girls. It was their first half marathon and they were just in it to finish - one and done as they said. They were really nice and we chatted along the way and kept each other moving.

Turns out, my Garmin was right and there was still over two miles to go, but now I at least had company to suffer through the rest of the way with. They were picking up the cones as we passed them. It was certainly a different experience. Finally we were at the finish chute and I hung back to let the two girls finish together in front of me. So, I was officially the very last person to cross the finish line - not sure if my time was the slowest because they started a few seconds ahead of me, but I'll have to see what happens when the official results are up.

I managed to finish even with two lengthy stops on the course. I can't really explain what happened out there, it was nothing I've ever experienced before and I hope to not experience it ever again. Still, thanks to the kindness of strangers I managed to get myself across the finish line.

 photo 2015rrhh1_zpscrmrkqfa.jpg
Yep, that's the start...I told you this was a very small race field
 photo 2015rrhh2_zpszpgftpm7.jpg
At least the scenery is pretty!


Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive