2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Tuesday, September 29, 2015

2015 Lost Dutchman Half Marathon

I was glad to be back in Arizona for the Lost Dutchman events. In the past I have done the 8K Trail Run, but this year I decided to go for the half marathon. It's a road race and the last half of the marathon follows the half marathon course.

Sadly, this wasn't a stellar race day for me. Did a rookie mistake and started out to fast, but truly died at the half way point. I was more sore after this race than I have been in years and it was truly hard to move - my left heel was in complete agony, my right knee gave me trouble the whole time and both hips hurt. It was strange because I felt dehydrated even though I was downing water and even Gatorade. Despite all that I did finish so it could have been worse.

At my mile 8-9 the lead marathon male went by, then at mile 10 a guy comes running by and asked - can I catch him? I yelled - yes you can he is right up there and on he zoomed by. When I got to the finish stretch he was on the side and I yelled, "did you catch him?"  He grinned and said, "Yes, yes I did!"  I checked when I got home and he finished the marathon in first place - with a time of 2:51, beating the lead runner he passed by just over 2 minutes...so that was a lot of fun to be a part of.

It had been a while since I had done a non-Disney half and I forgot how much more mental toughness it takes to do a race with no entertainment and minimal spectator support. Still this is a beautiful course and the volunteers were great.  If you're ever in Arizona in mid-February come on out and give this one a try.

 photo 2015ldmh1_zpswcjqsvim.jpg
Pre-race the prospector and his trusty donkey were setting up for photos
 photo 2015ldmh2_zpscergdaat.jpg
Yep, I know I'm in trouble when the last pace sign is a 12 minute per mile pace
 photo 2015ldmh3_zpsvt5tosas.jpg
Cloudy start and the view is quite pretty
 photo 2015ldmh4_zpsvefbxzes.jpg
A little closer to the hills on the later part of the course
 photo 2015ldmh5_zpsoqgosood.jpg
I'm at the back of the pack and you can see I don't have to worry about crowding on this course
 photo 2015ldmh6_zps9eqiq8ii.jpg
This is the dirt road I walk to in order to get back to my car.  Yes, they have bus transportation to and from the parking, but I figure it's usually better to walk it off than catch a ride and really it's just so pretty

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels