2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Monday, June 22, 2015

2015 New Year's Day 5K

On the morning of January 1st I headed over to the ramadas by the Phoenix Zoo for the 2015 New Year's Day 5K.  This was the sixth time I've participated in this event.  Since I was in Florida for the previous two years I was excited to see if the event had grown, the course has changed, or if I'd still enjoy the event.

It was a chilly morning, around 36 degrees.  Thankfully I was dressed for the weather as I had a little time to stand around before the race started.  I got my bib and t-shirt and then just walked around for a little bit to stay warm.

This is a small race.  There are no corrals, there is no hype, it's just the energy of the runners as they get ready to go.  As I stood there watching people start gathering around the start, I was trying to decide what I wanted out of this race.  Did I want to do intervals, did I want to walk, should I run?  Honestly, I couldn't make a decision.  I decided to wing it and just see what happened.

The announcer started us off and away we went.  I started off at a light jog.  I was feeling good, my left heel wasn't bothering me, so I decided to see how long I could keep up a light jog.  

I felt like I was creeping, but I felt good so as I hit mile one I kept running...then came the turn around and I was still running...mile two and still running...mile three and still running...all the way to the finish.

The time on the clock is just over 40 minutes.  That can't be right, I felt so slow.  After I walked around for a little bit I decided to check my Garmin.  What a surprise it was to see that I really did finish in a decent time - 40:21 and I ran the whole time.

What a great way to start the new year.  If you're ever around the Phoenix area on New Year's this is a great little race to get your year off to a good start!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels