2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, September 14, 2014

Whole 30 Challenge

I know I've been gone too long again.  It's been a stressful, crazy, busy year and all of that has lead me to come to the realization that I have done nothing to better myself.  In fact, I've done just the opposite, I have lost control of my weight, my joints aren't happy, I am tired all the time and my workouts have been non-existent.

I decided that I have to do something, but what.  I could try the same old things I've done before.  Sure, they work for a while, but I have never been able to sustain them for any length of time.  I feel deprived and logging everything that I eat just aggravates me and for some reason it does nothing to help me stay on course.

Let me be clear - I have resisted the idea of the Paleo diet since it became so popular and main stream.  I love my carbs, I have always thought my body needs these carbs to survive and thrive.  Not to mention that I am probably highly addicted to carbs - I crave them, I need them - or so my mind keeps saying.

I know several of my friends and readers have done the Whole 30 or gone Paleo.  Often, this is correlated with Crossfit or other exercise routines.  Maybe that's why I've sort of dismissed it up to this point.  I admire those of you that enjoy Crossfit, weights, triathlons and other exercise activities and I know you are strong and happy doing it, but for me these things hold no appeal.  I will stick with my running and I want to get back to my Pilates.  That could be another reason that I've never considered Paleo - what runner doesn't eat carbs provided by grains?  Well, apparently there are a lot of them.

I started reading up on the Whole 30 program- not fully Paleo, not a lengthy commitment in the grand scheme of things and if I hate it I can revert right back to my old ways after 30 days.  At least that's what I thought when I first started reading up on it.

I'm sure some of you have watched some of the documentaries out there about food, fast food, bad food, good food, juicing, etc...I have been watching some of them as well.  Things started to just click in my brain.  Things started making sense as to why the body doesn't need all the grains and processed foods that make up the majority of my diet.

Then I visited the Whole 30 website (http://whole30.com/).  I was intrigued by the information I was finding on there, but I found it hard to put all the pieces together.  That's when I decided to purchase the "It Starts with Food" book by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig.  I ended up purchasing the book from Amazon as a Kindle edition for $9.99 and it was great because I was able to instantly start reading it.

The book has some interesting parts to it.  Science like, but not so dry it was impossible to read.  There were a lot of testimonials mixed in that I enjoyed reading.  Then there's the meat of the program - what can you have, what will you not have, what do you eat, and why do you eat it.  That's the most important part in my opinion.

As I read I got more and more anxious and excited.  

Anxious because for me this is a huge change.  I admit it, I am a processed foods junkie.  I don't cook, I rarely buy fresh foods.  I am picky.  How on earth am I going to do this?  What will it do to/for my running?  What about traveling?  So many unknowns and if you know me, I'm not good with unknowns.

Excited because it is completely different than anything I've tried before.  You mean I don't have to count calories?  I don't have to log everything I eat?  This could make some of my joint pain go away?  I could actually feel better?  It's okay to eat protein and fats with every meal?  It's not a diet?  These are all things I really think help to make this program different for me.

So, I made the commitment to empty the house of all processed foods and things that are not Whole 30 approved (http://whole30.com/whole30-approved/).  That wasn't the hard part - I mean really how hard is it to eat bad food or throw out things away that I haven't eaten or just don't want?

Then I had to figure out what the heck would I eat the first week.  Yeah, I'm going to take it one week at a time.  That's about all my head can handle.  Especially since this is a whole new way of cooking and eating for me.  It took me a long time searching the Internet for possible things to eat and potential recipes to try.  Then even longer to put together a one week plan - three meals a day.  I really focused on trying not to eat the same meal every day because that's something I would normally have done in the past.  I need to focus on doing something different, something I can do for 30 days.

Today I went grocery shopping and because I had to buy everything and I focused on organic, high quality foods I had a little sticker shock.  Now, that being said, I think I can do better and I shouldn't have to buy all the essentials every week so that should help too.  Needless to say, this is going to take some work on my part to do better.  While I understand the reasoning behind organic and high quality, I think I will have to weigh the options against price in some cases and just do what I can.  Even if everything is not organic, at least the foods will still be cleaner and hopefully will still provide some good benefits.

What do I want from the Whole 30 Challenge?  For me it is simple - I want to feel better and I want to stop dieting or pretending to diet.  What do I hope happens?  I hope that my joints feel better and let's be honest - I hope that if I don't lose weight that at least my body composition changes in some positive ways.  I am also hoping that I can get back in better run/walk shape.  Right now I am so far from being ready for any of my upcoming races it is not even funny (more on my Disneyland fiasco in another post).

I am going to try to log how I am feeling each day, at the least each week. 

Have you done Whole 30?  If so, what were your results?

3 comments:

Disney Runs said...

Good luck! I think health and fitness is always an ongoing journey. I'm having to readjust some things too, and, like you, am starting on a new nutrition and exercise plan. Fingers crossed that we both find what we need and get healthier!!!! :).

-J.D. Humenay said...

A great accompaniment to this is "Your Personal Paleo Code" by Chris Kressler. It helped me wrap my brain around it too, and, honestly, I have ZERO desire to go back to any other way of life. After discovering the foods my body thrives on (and what it doesn't), why would I ever want to GO BACK to aching joints (I thought were 'normal'), heavy amounts of gas and bloating (though I thought those were 'normal' too)? Why in the WORLD would I WANT to eat things that make me sick?
I'm excited to see where your experiment leads you!

raeplace said...

I am excited to see your progress. I did the Whole 30 earlier in the year. For me looking to jump start my metabolism. My joints do not hurt. I do not have gas or bloating. I learned that I can and con not eat certain foods I thought I could eat. I have not gone back. I WILL NOT eat foods that make me sick. We have learned how to buy quality foods. I WILL NOT eat low quality meats. I will go to local farmers markets to fruits and veggies. I ask questions. When I can't find what I want I get it frozen. Traveling, it is not as hard as you think. Plan ahead.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels