2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Friday, May 2, 2014

2014 Enchanted 10K - Inaugural

Another early morning - the alarm went off at 3:10am and I got up and got ready to go. I left the house at 3:45am and got to Epcot at 4:05am.  Traffic wasn't bad and parking was quick and easy again, although I did notice more people in the parking lot this morning.

I walked toward the staging area and went through the security bag check area without any problems. I headed over to the family reunion area and took a bio break since there were no lines and grabbed some water.  I am feeling that it is a bit humid this morning as well.  Seems like that will be a theme this weekend.

 photo 2014E10KCorral_zps4d7a51c0.jpg
Headed to the corral and watched it slowly fill up

 photo 2014E10KTrumpetNA_zps40742725.jpg
The National Anthem was a trumpet sing along today and I love it when they do this - so moving when the crowd gets in to it and sings along!

The corral didn't seem as crowded as for Dopey, but there were still a lot of people. They announced that there were 6200 Glass Slipper Challengers this weekend. As I'm standing in the corral there was a person dressed as Santa Claus and I thought wow, he is really authentic, long white beard and all. Then I realized that this was not a man, but an older woman with long white hair that I thought was a beard - so funny the things that strike you as humorous while waiting for a race to start.

 photo 2014E10KStartFireworks_zps315c7e01.jpg
Before long it was time for the corrals to start moving and then fireworks!

 photo 2014E10KStage_zps73749a70.jpg
The stage on the right hand side
 photo 2014E10KGallowayHosts_zpsb86db841.jpg
Jeff Galloway and hosts
 photo 2014E10KStartLineBanner_zpse4212c17.jpg
Time to get this show on the road

Finally it was time to get going. Even though I know the course since it is the same January, it is still strange to start in the Epcot parking lot and turn left instead of going right in to the park. As we head out, there's snow and Elsa is standing on the overpass instructing us all to keep going and other motivational things - she's quite pretty and the snow and Let It Go playing on the speakers was a really nice way to start the race.

Today was a little different than January because there was 10 minutes between the corral starts - it seemed like a really long time between corrals, but It was quite a good change. The first mile that seemed so crowded and hard to get a good pace going in January is not as bad today. There was plenty of water available at the first water stop.

There are places on this course that are open and easy to move where the road widens and then it narrows and we bottleneck again. This happens through the first two miles. This time because I was not in the last corral, there are still a lot of people heading out of Epcot and I don't get to see the end of the pack - I'm okay with this. Mile three and we get to head in to the parks.

Things have opened up a bit and it is awesome going around World Showcase where there is a lot of energy and the Cast Members are cheering.

 photo 2014E10KWS2_zps4d49eaa5.jpg
 photo 2014E10KWS_zps659bfaaf.jpg
Having fun in World Showcase

Then we head out of the park and on to the Epcot Resorts area. We are on the Boardwalk now and it is fun and I am truly enjoying this race.

Back in to Epcot and we're seeing some different parts this time. Oh, this is quite exciting. We spend a lot of time in Epcot and it is great to see some different parts for a change. Now we head to Future World by the entrance and back out towards the parking lot.
 photo 2014E10KEpcot2_zps37f0bacd.jpg
 photo 2014E10KEpcot_zpsc9da7791.jpg
Spaceship Earth means we're getting close

 photo 2014E10KFinishChute_zpsc19c05a2.jpg
The finish line is right in front of me.

 photo 2014E10KFinishLine_zpsfa2193a9.jpg
Fairy Godmother is waiting at the finish line. See Mickey? As we are coming in to Future World Donald Duck was there for a photo opp and Mickey went up and Donald was giving him a lot of grief putting his thumbs down and shaking his head no - it was great!

 photo 2014E10KFinishLine2_zpsc571d95e.jpg
All done

I got my medal, water and Powerade and then my 10K finisher's wristband.

 photo 2014E10KWristband_zps1a2f105a.jpg
Got my wristband

The process was the same as Dopey and they really seem to have got this process down. Time for a finisher photo, then a snack box and banana.

 photo 2014E10KFinisher_zpsb1723881.jpg
Can you tell how hot I was by how red my face is - it might have been more noticeable in earlier photos?

Overall the race was pretty good and since I didn't feel so crowded through the whole race I enjoyed it. The weather was not my friend for this race and it really took a toll, but I will say that I didn't push myself on this race at all since I knew I had the half to deal with tomorrow.

After the finish area I met up with Matt, De'Dee and Matt's Grandma. We chatted for a few minutes and then I headed to my car and home.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Congrats on your accomplishment! This looks like it would be so much fun! I want to do one of these someday. I can only imagine how amazing it must have been to race through the parks like that. Someday I will know. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Rae! said...

You look great!!! I am proud of you. I know it was hot that weekend. Glad it wasn't as crowded as Dopey.

-J.D. Humenay said...

When do I get to read about you Everest experience?

Anonymous said...

When I originally commented I seem to have clicked on the -Notify me
when new comments are added- checkbox and from now on each time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the exact same comment.

Is there a means you are able to remove me from that service?

Many thanks!

Visit my web-site: Disney vacation club

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels