2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Monday, April 28, 2014

2014 Tinker Bell Half Marathon

The alarm is set for 3:00am, but I was awake way before that again today.  I got up at 2:40am and I ate my normal Powerbar and drank my water.  Then it was time to get ready and I still have a lot of time left.  At 3:35am I decided to head out and it was another short walk to the staging area.

The DJ made the mistake of saying to head to the corrals so a group of runners ganged up on the runDisney folks stopping people from going to the corrals and they let us all go through.  I headed straight to my corral and I was very happy because I was able to get to the very front of my corral and that's where I stayed.  I chatted with some folks around me, read a little and just focused on getting my mind right and ready to go.  This is my 50th runDisney event and I really want it to go well.  The weather is perfect for me - a bit chilly, where my hands are cold, but not freezing.

 photo 2014tbhprerace_zps8b869494.jpg
Heading to the corral

The volunteer that was with us at the front was a lot of fun to talk to and the runDisney official monitoring our corral was super diligent and did his best to stop people from cutting through and not following the directions.  This is one of the first times that I've actually seen one of them in motion trying hard to make sure things are fair for everyone.

Before to long it is time to move forward and I am literally standing right next to the volunteer holding the rope (yes, it was rope and not the nice runDisney band).  The runDisney official tasked those of us at the front with making sure people didn't cut in front of us and helping to keep the pace from getting out of hand.  We all did a great job and it stayed very calm and nice.

Once corral C took off we continued forward to the start line.  Happy Birthday Rudy Novotny!  It's interesting because we are asked to step across the first timing mat and as soon as I do, I get a text saying that I've started the race - wait, what?  Daisy and Minnie walked right in front of us as they left the stage.  It's a couple of minutes after we cross the mat before we actually start and I'm wondering how that's going to affect my chip time - hmmm...

 photo 2014tbhstartstage1_zpsd56b3477.jpg
The stage

Off we go!  I run for a few seconds since I am literally at the front, but it's crowded so I don't do it for long and I settle in to my intervals.  My legs are feeling pretty good and I'm glad because we do some little hills at the beginning of this race.  I'm okay with that because we get them over with and don't have to stress about them at the end of the race.

Right before mile 2 we head in to California Adventure and of course there are a few bottlenecks that make running tough.  That's okay we're in the parks and we wrap around and around and around and all over the park and it's so fun.

 photo 2014tbh10_zpsc799c915.jpg
Cars land in the dark again
 photo 2014tbh9_zps3cbebfb6.jpg
Hyperion theater
 photo 2014tbh8_zps50fb58bb.jpg
Disney Junior

Around mile 3 we head across to Disneyland.  This is one race that I get to go down Main Street in the dark because it starts so early and Main Street is early in the race.  I am enjoying this and as I head to the front of the castle a guy takes a tumble and does the movie roll and pop up.   We all ask if he's okay and assures us he's fine and he keeps on trucking.  Great weekend for falls apparently.  It's still weird to go through the front of the castle instead of running through from the back.

 photo 2014tbh11_zps0da13287.jpg
The castle in the dark

I'm feeling good, but I'm also feeling slow for some reason.  No matter, I'm not looking at my watch today.  I'm really focusing on doing my intervals and not letting the mental aspect get to me.  My only goal today is to beat last week's time - I want to be under 3:30.  If I can do this I will better all three race times from last week.

Now we're heading out of Disneyland and to Downtown Disney.  I love this part of this race because there are always a ton of spectators and the cheering is such a boost. This is also where we hit mile six.  I do a mental check and I'm feeling really good and that makes me pretty happy.

Just past Downtown Disney there is a sea of red hats - yep, the red hat ladies are there again this year.  In fact, there are more red hat ladies than I've ever seen before.  It's totally incredible and pretty awesome!

Now we're back out on the streets for the rest of the race.  Honestly, it's not all that exciting being on the roads, but it's flat and easy road at least.  I continue to feel really good through mile 8 where I start feeling tired.  I don't want to lose momentum so I keep pushing myself mentally.

Mile nine - big sigh...Mile 10 and I realize I have a 5K to go.  I can do this.  Where is mile 11?  Oh thank goodness, there it is.  Keeping going, don't let yourself slow down now.  Okay, here comes mile 12 - I stopped Lifesavers at mile 10.  I just couldn't take another Lifesaver today.

There are a lot of people spectating at mile 12 - I love spectators.  The energy is great.  I know I don't have much further to go.  I keep up my run/walk intervals.  Yes, I'm tired and I want to be done but it doesn't matter the end is near now.

 photo 2014tbh6_zpse6c6288d.jpg
Getting close to the end, but not close enough yet
 photo 2014tbh2_zps50bf29b9.jpg
Now that's a hairy Tinker Bell

Finally, there's mile 13.  I will run it in from here.  And - I do!  I cross the finish line and high five Mickey.  I am sure that I beat last week's time, but I don't bother to try to figure out my finish time.

 photo 2014tbh7_zpsfad6f4fb.jpg
The end - I am done - here's to my 50th!

I move forward and get my medal and then my medal photo.  A little further and I get water and two little Powerades (what is with the small bottles of Powerade, seriously, this was a half marathon).  I get in line for a finisher photo and down a bottle of Powerade while I wait.  I take stock and notice that I'm a little sore - the knees and feet mostly.  Nothing terrible, just feeling the miles.

 photo 2014tbh4_zps73808f38.jpg
I'm done
 photo 2014tbh3_zps5362f9d6.jpg
Okay - 7 races in 11 days for 71 miles - I still can't believe I did it

Got my photo then grabbed a snack box and banana.  Then I headed out of the family reunion area and headed toward the hotel.  As I'm walking along I see a guy holding a sign that is fantastic - "I trained for six months to hold this sign!"  That's one of the better ones for sure.

As I walk, I see that they are routing the foot traffic around a loop instead of letting us go straight through.  Yes, let's make the half marathoners walk even further - rolling my eyes.  Not super efficient people and it makes us actually cross a road which is even stranger when I could have gone straight and not crossed a road.

I get back to my room and I finally look at my finish time and I'm a bit giddy.  Official finish time 3:17...What?  That's 21 minutes faster than last week's half time.  Thank you Jeff Galloway for getting me through 71 miles over 11 days and seven races with very little pain and discomfort.

It took me all the races to realize that my training did work and that I need to trust in myself and remember what I can do if I put my mind to it.  This could be the start to a great race year and I'll keep working hard for it.

I will really miss having the Tinker Bell Half in January, but I won't miss having it back to back with WDW.  I will miss the cooler weather of January, but I'm also very interested to see what May will bring to the Tinker Bell races next year!

I will end this report by saying that I am super proud of myself.  I was certainly worried about these races, but I feel like I really rocked them even though my Dopey times were not as good as I would have liked.  I have ended these races feeling positive, good and glad that I did them all!
 photo 2014tbhlanyard_zps36cbd2e6.jpg
2014 Tinker Bell Half medal lanyard
 photo 2014tbhmedal_zpse357f1b6.jpg
2014 Tinker Bell Half Medal

1 comments:

Rae! said...

I know what you mean in trusting the process. The dopey was by far the most fun I had, minor aches and pains. I had a bunch of fun hanging out with you and dressing up. Who knew!

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels