2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, April 27, 2014

2014 Tinker Bell 10K - Inaugural Race

I was up an hour before my alarm went off this morning, but I didn't get moving for another half hour.  I got dressed, ate my Powerbar and drank some water.  Even after all that, I still had plenty of time to spare.  I headed out around 4:25am.

It was a short walk to the staging area and I walked around toward the corrals, but they weren't letting people in yet.  I stood there and read while I waited and then they finally let us go to the corrals.  A group of us headed in to corral D and a few feet away from the front of the corral a runDisney staffer turned us around and made us go back to where we entered.  It didn't make any sense, she kept saying the that start was the other direction, which it obviously wasn't.  This was very confusing.  I was at the very front, but then I ended up being squished in with everyone else and immediately told to go back the way I came.  Okay then...Thankfully, I still ended up at the front of the corral where I wanted to be.  I was glad because even though the program showed at least one corral behind mine, that was not the case. I was in the last corral.  I guess I'm back to reality of being a back of packer today...Oh well.

As we all waited to start I had a nice chat with a lady from Orlando and two from Washington.  We all kept each other entertained and laughing until it was time to move.  There I am right at the front of the corral and then we are off.  No firework send offs for today's race.  That is one difference between Disneyland and Walt Disney World.  Since you are on public streets for Disneyland sometimes the fan fare is a little different where at Walt Disney World they own the land and roads so they can do more.

 photo 2014tbhwalktostart_zps804a0b82.jpg
Waiting to move to the start
 photo 2014tbhlgscreenstart_zpsaa2565c3.jpg
The action on the big screen
 photo 2014tbhrudystart_zps45811268.jpg
The stage
 photo 2014tbhstartstage_zpsa88cfaef.jpg
Another shot of the stage

The first part of the race is on the road and no, it's not super exciting, but it's a good warm up and since it's a little crowded it works well.  I am doing my intervals again today and feeling pretty good after I get warmed up.  Before mile one we are in Disneyland and backstage.

The only characters I really paid attention to in Disneyland where at the Haunted Mansion.  By far the coolest thing I've seen in a while.  The Bride and the Tightrope Walker were out for a photo opp...This is one place where I wish I was more confident in my time so that I could have stopped for a picture!

There's a medical stop setup on Main Street which just strikes me as amusing for some reason and I guess if you have to stop for medical reasons Main Street is a good place to do it. Then we head out of Disneyland and across to California Adventure.

In California Adventure I remember seeing Lightning McQueen and Tow Mater and Sully but those are the only characters I remember in California Adventure.  Still we wound all around that park and it felt good.  We're almost to mile 4 as we head out of the parks.
 photo 2014tb10k4_zps9338d5a1.jpg
Running through California Adventure

Now we're on the roads and shortly after we hit the road, I see a lady take a nasty fall.  Thankfully she popped back up and kept going like nothing happened.  I really must say that the roads are a bit of a let down after the fun of the parks and you're out there for two miles.

Still, I kept up my intervals the whole time and felt pretty good the whole time, except for those nasty blisters that haven't had time to fully heal yet.  Still, I finished the 10K and low and behold I have a brand new 10K PR - 1:30!  I didn't expect that, but it feels really good and I am quite happy.  I took 3 minutes of my 10K PR and 7 minutes off last week's 10K.

 photo 2014tb10k3_zps9eafd8bb.jpg
You can see the crowding at the finish line

The end of the 10K was crowded and seemed super unorganized.  It actually took a couple of minutes to get my medal.  Then I move slowly forward and get a bottle of water and a little bottle of Powerade.  It took another few minutes to find a line for a finisher photo.  I had to wait in line for a few minutes, but I finally got my picture and moved through the crowd to get a banana and snack box.

 photo 2014tb10k2_zpsb9e5094e.jpg
Just finished
 photo 2014tb10k1_zpsd587bf09.jpg
Have to wait a few minutes for this one

The exit to get out of there was not clearly marked and I first walked the wrong way until I realized that I couldn't get out and headed back the way I came.  Whew, once I got out the crowds thinned out a bit and I could breathe.

The weather has been great, but very dry and my allergies have been pretty active.  Still I can deal with that better than the heat and humidity so I'll live.


 photo 2014tb10klanyard_zps05d8a419.jpg
2014 Tinker Bell 10K medal lanyard
 photo 2014tb10kmedal_zpsf3375a91.jpg
2014 Tinker Bell 10K medal

1 comments:

Rae! said...

Yay!!! Good PR even with the blisters!

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels