2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Dopey Challenge Day 3 - 2014 WDW Half Marathon

Oh goody, another super early morning.  I get up at 2:20am this morning and get ready to head out.  I head out at 3:00am and the drive is super easy and parking was easy too so I'm there by 3:20am.

I head to the staging area and through security bag check and there's no problems getting through again.  I head over to our normal meeting spot and wait for everyone to arrive. While I am waiting one of the photographers asks if I want a photo so I say sure - then he asked if I wanted the row of porta-potties in the picture because some people do. This makes me laugh as I decline.

 photo 2014Half18_zpsfe235907.jpg

 photo 2014Half19_zpsd8c7646d.jpg
Pre-race picture with Chris

At 4:20am we head to the corrals.  It's the normal cattle drive or zombie march to the corral area.  I stop for a bio break before heading to find my corral.

Since there are more corrals than ever before, it seems confusing and the poor volunteers are having to basically tell every person which direction to head.  I headed the wrong way first and then quickly realized I was going the wrong way.  Corral M was up a ways and seemed like it took forever to find the entrance, but I finally found the right place and headed in.  It was after 5am when I get in the corral and I was able to get all the way up to the front of the corral which is exactly where I feel I need to be.

 photo 2014Half24_zps1df5ae2a.jpg
I'm right by the video screen so at least I have something to watch

You might have noticed in the picture above that we are just a grassy stretch away from Corral H. Why would I mention this? Well, there were quite a few people in Corral M that decided they'd like to start sooner and went over the barricade and blended in to the middle of Corral H. While I would have loved to have some extra buffer, I would never have done something like this. I'm in the corral I'm in because that's where my time put me - like it or not.

As I stand there I am feeling that it is  a little warm, but mostly I'm noticing just how humid it is.  This worries me.  When I am drenched before I start a race it usually means I'm going to have a rough time, but I hope for the best.

I watch many corrals go before ours with fireworks send offs.  Finally we get to start moving.  We cross the grass median and walk toward the start line.

 photo 2014Half23_zpsbe54b899.jpg
The walk to the start line
 photo 2014Half21_zps8bfa6135.jpg
The stage at the start line

It's awesome being at the front of the corral and so close to everything.

 photo 2014Half22_zps79208baa.jpg
Bad shot because the lights really were that bright

I take a deep breathe as we get ready to go...I shouldn't be worried about this one, but I am.

The fireworks go off and we are on our way.  I'm going to stick to my run/walk intervals as long as I can today.  As I go along the first mile I am already feeling the humidity and I am already worried about this race.  I can tell within the first mile how the race is going to go and I don't feel good about this one.  I'm thinking that it's going to be a long 13.1!

Miles two and three are uneventful, but I am already sort of tired.  Jordan catches up to me and we run/walk together for a while.  As we near the Ticket and Transportation Center parking lot - a sound like a gun shot goes off and I automatically grab my chest and say, they got me.  Jordan thanked me for taking a bullet for him :).  It's sad, no old time bike riders out today.  One of the spectators has a sign that says strippers ahead and that makes a lot of runners laugh as we head past.

Jordan and I continue along and now we're headed to the Contemporary hill.  As we go along a guy behind us says that he wonders if it would be easier to walk along the top of the line of cones keeping us to the left because they're so close together and it's so crowded at this section.  Jordan and I both look back and tell him we'd love to see that and we'll help him up...he just laughs.  The DJ on the bridge above us is awesome - he is full of jokes about running under water, boats passing over our heads and just a bunch of other things.  He was a lot of fun.  As we pass under the water through the tunnel I wonder if we need to worry about trolls - yes, I have strange thoughts while on the race course.

I dubbed a new term during this race and that is "Dopey Delirium" - my definition, the craziness that comes with the tiredness of getting up and running four races in a row on day three.

There's an odd thump, thump coming up behind us and as it passes, we see a shirtless man dribbling a basketball in each hand.  Apparently, this is Dr. Dribble, or so the tattoo on his back says.  Some how all the weirdness gets us down and up the hill.

On the side of the road, a lady says let me hear it from all the Dopey's on the course and all of us sort of say whooo in a depressed and tired sort of way.  A guy starts laughing and asks us if that's all we've got.  We all say, yep, we have to conserve our energy, oh and we're tired.  Mile five goes by and now we're headed in to the Magic Kingdom.  Jordan takes off and I continue to slog along.

There's really nothing better than going down Main Street.  Such amazing support and energy.  It energizes me as I continue along.

 photo 2014Half3_zpsd8bfbaac.jpg
No idea what I'm looking at
 photo 2014Half10_zpsafc801bb.jpg
See, I really am happy on Main Street!

I should mention that Eric has been following us as a spectator and I see him at the end of Main Street which is always fun!  Through Tomorrowland.

 photo 2014Half2_zpsace63b58.jpg
Tomorrowland

On to Fantasy Land and here comes the castle.  Donald and Daisy are out for photos,but no trumpeters.  I get to the castle and we come to a dead stop.  There are so many people and they are all just jumbled in the castle and it is crazy.  I've done a lot of these races and I have never seen a bottleneck like this here.  It was sort of frustrating, but I continue through as well as I can.

 photo 2014Half12_zpsb177c4d4.jpg
 photo 2014Half14_zpsd7f89faf.jpg
 photo 2014Half17_zpsc6b674b4.jpg
Lots of Castle pictures for this race - I attribute this to the costume

Now we're going through Frontierland and we're headed backstage and out of the Magic Kingdom.  I've passed mile six and I'm feeling not so great.  The humidity has just really drained me and I'm developing hot spots on both feet - not good.

Jordan catches up with me a couple more times and at some point I am told I said he was creepy because he kept popping up out of nowhere.  I think I said something like that's creepy, but it really was.  He would just sort of be there.  Very strange.

I head past the DJ at the half way point and then I am at mile seven.  I'm just walking at this point.  As I hit the Polynesian, Eric is there and says that Rae just passed me.  I just don't have enough in me to run after her.  I'm struggling by this point.  This is another bottleneck area and as the road widens back up, there is Rae waiting for me.  She's with me for a minute or two, but I tell her to just go because I'm not going to be going any faster at this point.  She's rocking this race - so proud of her.

There's mile nine and I continue on.  I'm not concerned about being swept, but it is just not a good race for me today.  Very tough time.  Finally mile 10 - if you've followed me, you probably know that I always say - anyone can do a 5K.  It's been my mantra for a long time and I use it today.

I slog along and mile 11 seemed to take forever to get to, but there it is.  Now it's time to do the overpass and silly hills and there it is, the Epcot parking lot and mile 12.  More cheering spectators is exactly what I need right now.  It energizes me and I know that I'm almost done with this race.  Thank goodness.

Now it's all about Epcot.  Again, there's so many cheering Cast Members and spectators and I'm feeling great.

 photo 2014Half9_zps1ade2cee.jpg
 photo 2014Half16_zps199e6629.jpg
Lots of Spaceship Earth pictures too!

Backstage again and there's the Gospel Choir - they are awesome as usual.  Time to head out of Epcot and there's mile 13.

 photo 2014Half8_zps45d3b39a.jpg
The finish line chute

Almost done.  I make it through the finish line and Daisy and Donald are there.

My favorite part of runDisney races are the finish lines where I get to high five a character.  I get upset if I can't high five one of them.  This is my favorite runDisney memory ever for any race.  Daisy sees me and throws her hands up and gives me a huge high five.  So cool.  Then Donald sees me and I go to give him a high five and instead he grabs me and gives me the biggest hug.  I'm taken completely by surprise and it is the most awesome moment ever.  I didn't have a good race, but that moment changed my entire thought process.  Sounds stupid, but it was exactly what I needed at that moment in time.  Now I'm grinning from ear to ear.

 photo 2014Half7_zps2d64ad19.jpg











 photo 2014Half6_zps34417b96.jpg


Right after Donald gave me a huge hug - told you I was smiling ear to ear!

The only thing that I'm bummed about is that Marathofoto did not catch this moment on photo or video - of all the races and finishes it had to be this one that they missed :(.

I head through, get my medal and head off to get my water and powerade and then a circle on my 10K finisher wristband and my half marathon finisher's wristband.

 photo 2014Half20_zpsfe3d1936.jpg

Rae finished ahead of me and was waiting so, it was time for finisher photos and then snack box and banana.

 photo 2014Half15_zpse86b8fca.jpg
Pre-Wristband Acquisition
 photo 2014Half5_zps30be95c9.jpg
 photo 2014Half4_zpsae6f696d.jpg

Race three is done. My official finish time was 3:38 - not proud of that time, but I did finish and I was nowhere near the sweepers the entire time. This was by far the hardest race so far and it really has me concerned about the full marathon tomorrow, but I have to take this as it was and move forward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog today. So glad I did. I'm signing up for the 5k in October. I'm a big couch potato so I'm worried about it but figure if I'm going all the way to FL I won't back out =) Thanks for your updates as I'm finding some motivation in it

Aly said...

OMG! Your costume was awesome!!!!!!!! So cute! Congrats :)

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels