2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Monday, December 2, 2013

2013 Disneyland 10K

The alarms went off at 4am and I managed to get myself up and get all my gear on.  I headed out of the room at 4:50am and started walking towards the Disneyland Hotel.  On my way, I sent a text to De'Dee to see if they were still there.  Turns out they were there and they invited me up as they finished getting ready.

We all headed out to the staging area and as we got there the 5K was just getting under way.  De'Dee and Pam were meeting up with the All Ears Team for a picture so I tagged along to take pictures for them.

At 5:45am we headed toward the corrals.  The 10K corrals were set up, but the crowds were unbelievable.  It was almost impossible to move.  Everyone was standing around in a huge crowd not moving.  After what seemed like a long time we made it to the split for the A - C corrals that went right and the D - G corrals that went left.

It was mass confusion, horrible crowds, there was no way the volunteers could check bibs due to the number of participants.  To top it off, the entries to the corrals were so poorly marked that people were just moving the fencing out of the way to get in the corrals they thought were the right ones.

I'm not kidding when I say that it was the worst sort of unorganized madness.  I finally figured out how to get in to my corral (F) and I made my way up as close to the front of the corral as I could, which wasn't very far.

As I looked around all I could see was people in the wrong corral.  I was definitely in corral F, but the majority of the bibs were corral G.  Then outside of the fences there were just so many people that couldn't get in to the corrals.

I just tried to take it in stride, but it was surprising how crazy it was.  Still, in just a few minutes we started moving forward and then we were off!

My legs were a  little stiff when I started, but I was walking and loosening up and then it was time to run.
Wait, there are so many people, how am I going to be able to run?  It was tough and I had to weave a lot to keep any kind of momentum.  Nope, you can prepare for weaving on a treadmill...

The first mile of the race was on the roads and not super exciting, but definitely thick with people.  I finished mile 1 in 14:40 - I was okay with that.  The first water stop had no water cups.  The volunteers had bottles of water, but there were no cups available.  Thankfully I carry water with me because it was hot and humid.

Mile 2 was more of the same - crowds and more weaving.  I was still able to keep to my run/walk intervals though and was feeling okay overall.  Finished mile 2 in 14:23.

On to California Adventure.  It was so nice being in the park, but it did slow me down a bit.  While I have some pictures that make it look empty, there were quite a few bottleneck areas in the park.
 photo 734896-1092-0015s_zps7ea221df.jpg
 photo 734897-1094-0025s_zps4daa9339.jpg
Carsland - so pretty in the morning!

By mile 3 we were headed out of California Adventure.  Mile 3 took 14:53 - see, told you it slowed me down a bit.

At this point, I decided to go ahead and keep pushing today because I was feeling good and I knew I'd pay for it tomorrow.  Also, I knew that it was so hot and humid that it was going to get me tomorrow.

Now we were in Disneyland.  It was so fun being in the parks.  As I headed up Main Street I ran in to Pam and De'Dee.  It was fun to run in to someone I knew, but I was only with them for a little while as I wanted to keep up my run/walk intervals.
 photo 734899-1109-0023s_zpsdd209984.jpg
I'm not sure what is so funny, but I think it was just the joy of running down Main Street!

Mile 4 was 14:22.  The crowds were just starting to thin out and I wasn't having to weave as much and I felt like I had breathing room again.
 photo 734901-1081-0020s_zpsdb53de5c.jpg
2013 Disneyland 10K Running Through the Castle

We headed backstage at Disneyland and then we headed back in to the park which was a lot of fun.  Mile 5 was 14:31.  I had to walk a little bit more - some because of crowds, some because I was just wearing down and hot.  We headed out of Disneyland and in to Downtown Disney.  Lots of spectators here and there comes mile marker 6.  Mile 6 was 15:19.

Here comes the end! Yeah, it's almost over.  I cross the finish line.

By my Garmin it was 6.38mi at 14:39 per mile - official time was 6.2mi at 15:03 per mile.  It wasn't as fast as I would have liked, but still better than I've done in a long time.  It was a successful race after major surgery and getting back in to training and I think that's why I was so happy.

At the end I walked forward and got my medal and had my picture taken.

 photo 734908-1011-0041s_zps33a3385f.jpg
2013 Disneyland 10K Medal at the Finish

Thank goodness I read the final race instructions the night before because I read that I needed a Dumbo Double Dare wristband, so I walked forward to get my wristband.  Honestly, I like the wristband if it will help runDisney keep tabs on the people that are getting their special medals.

I want to get a bottle of water and guess what - there's no water.  The crowds were lined up and they were trying to unload a truck, but I didn't want to wait.  I did get a Powerade - back to the little bottles.

Then I got in line to get my finisher photo.
 photo 734916-1007-0049s_zps59601eb5.jpg
Official Finisher Photo
 photo DLToT072_zpsf6f8f0ad.jpg
2013 Dumbo Double Dare Wristband

Once I got my snack box and banana I sent a text to De'Dee to see how they did and they were just finishing their photos.  I waited in the reunion area and ate my banana.  I was so sweaty - I just felt gross.  We met up and talked and headed back towards our hotels.

I was back in my room by 9am, hit the ice bath, and took a shower.  The rest of the day was just rest and lounging around.
 photo DLToT069_zps793e62b1.jpg
2013 Disneyland 10K Medal - very cool Alice in Wonderland Theme!
 photo DLToT067_zpsf709255d.jpg
 photo DLToT066_zps6e163315.jpg
2013 Disneyland 10K Lanyard

Overall I enjoyed the course, there was a lot of time in the parks which was great.  I saw a good amount of characters along the course, but I was so focused on doing my own thing that I didn't pay a lot of attention to them.

The crowds were so crazy and I was surprised at the disorganization of the corral area.  As I walked around the finish area I heard a lot of people grumpy and grumbling about things.  I heard complaints about the lack of water and crowds and of course the weather (which is out of runDisney's hands).

Still, I was excited to have a new distance and even though I've done so many races, this was my first 10K.  I really like the distance and am glad that it has been included in other upcoming race weekends.  It was also the first race I'd worn a skirt in and I have to say, it wasn't so bad - it would have been even better if it wasn't so hot and I didn't have double layers on.

3 comments:

Anne said...

Good job!! The heat was one thing but the humidity was completely unexpected!! Was happy that they were more organized on Sunday for the half!

-J.Darling said...

First great race after major surgery! Congrats! Way to go!:)

Fairytales and Fitness said...

Sounds like such a fun race! I hope to do one at Disneyland someday! Congrats for a strong finish ( especially after having surgery).

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels