2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Journey to a New Home - LONG

Sorry I've been absent for a while.  It's been a crazy few weeks!  There's nothing to report in terms of working out - I haven't done a single mile in a long time.

I left my job of nine and a half years on June 22, 2012 and left my home of 19 years on June 23, 2012.

The journey across the country began on June 23, 2012.  My sister was nice enough to drive across the country with me.  We left my house at 7:00am.  It was tough to say goodbye, but I knew I didn't have a lot of choice and the opportunity ahead of me was too great to pass up.

We drove from Gilbert, AZ with my two dogs and a Chrysler Town & Country mini-van full of my possessions.  I was really worried about how the dogs would do and it took a little bit to determine the best configuration for them and to make sure they would be comfortable.  They are the best little troopers ever!  The first day had us travel from Arizona, through New Mexico and in to Texas.  The first night we stopped in Van Horn, Texas.  Can I just say, don't blink or you might miss it. 

Thankfully there was a Motel 6 there and as advertised they took us with the dogs without any problems at all.  The dogs were a little hyper and hard to settle and they would bark everytime they would hear a noise.  It was a bit rough this night, but I have to say, the room was clean and comfortable and there wasn't much I could complain about.

Day two we continued on across Texas.  Now, a lot of people will tell you that Texas is boring, but we enjoyed it.  There were plenty of things to see, some good hills and lots of little towns along the way.  We would stop every two to three hours to stretch out and let the dogs get some energy out.  They were doing so incredibly well.  It was really amazing how good that they did for being in a car so long.

We stopped just past Houston in BayTown, and yep, it was another Motel 6 with no problems with the dogs.  In fact, this room had hard wood floors.  Super convenient for clean up.  Unfortunately, Jasmine slid on it and then was afraid to jump down from the bed the rest of the time.  Silly girl.  They both did great, got some energy out and then sacked out for the night.  We ordered pizza from Pizza Hut and this was a great way to end the day.

Day three we headed out across the last part of Texas and finally made it in to Louisiana.  Now, I've never driven through Louisiana before, but I have to say that was a lot of fun.  It was pretty crazy driving across the bayou and swamps on bridges.  All I can say is I'd hate to get in an accident on that crazy long raised roadway.  It didn't take long and we made it in to Alabama.  Now we've been threatened by tropical storm Debbie for quite some time, but we were lucky to not really hit it until we crossed in to Florida.

There were some really high winds for quite a few hours as we drove through Alabama and in to Florida.  Then the rain came.  Most of the time it wasn't too bad, but then it got pretty heavy and a bit scary at times.  The rain was intense at times, but we continued on.  Finally we decided it was time to stop.  This was our highest mileage day and would leave us in good shape for the next day. 

Tallahassee, Florida was the place to stop.  The rain was crazy bad and we were ready to stop for the night.  There was a trusty Motel 6 and thank goodness they had a room available.  We got our room and then headed for a drive through Subway - how cool is a drive through Subway?  Back to the room to relax and get ready for the last stretch of the journey.  It started out a bit rough with people talking right outside the door, but finally things quited down and we got some much needed sleep.

Day four and it was all Florida all the time.  The weather was not any better this morning.  In fact, at times it was down right dangerous.   Our path was clear, but there lots of closed roads, flooding and broken trees.  We saw a car hydroplane out in front of us - people, doing 70 mph on a freeway with standing water is not the smartest idea!  We also got stuck in some traffic where there was a five car accident - it was a pretty nasty scene.  From there the weather eased up a bit and it was pretty easy driving from there.

We made it to the key pickup house for our vacation home rental just after 11am.  Unfortunately, the key was not there so I called the office and they said I could come on over and pick it up.  So, just a mile or so up the road we found the office and got the key.

I'm sure most of you have heard of All Star Vacation Homes - well, they have no properties that will allow dogs so I had to do a little searching.  I found a company called Sunsplash Vacation Rentals and they have properties that allow dogs.  They are super friendly, responsive, helpful, not overly expensive and professional.  I have had such a great time working with them. 

We drove back to our temporary home and headed in.  The home is in Davenport about 11 miles from Walt Disney World.  This home is a four bedroom, two bathroom pool home.  It was an older home, but maintained beautifully.  The whole house has tile floors, the rooms are decorated in fun ways and has all the comforts of home.  The backyard was huge with the pool screened in and the whole yard fenced. 

As we explored, Belle fell right in the pool.  Yep, we were there about five minutes and one of the dogs already fell in the pool.  She didn't panic, she just thought she could walk on water apparently.  She paddled herself to the edge and my sister lifted her out - no harm no foul.  Wow, that was quite a welcome.

My sister settled in with the dogs and I headed out to find a Wal-Mart.  Amazingly I found it without any fuss.  Thank goodness for GPS in the rental van!  I had to buy new cages for the dogs and get some food for dinner.  Then I headed back to the house to rest and relax for the night.

The following morning we had an appointment to meet with the real estate agent to go look for a rental house.  There were several properties on the list, but we were headed to one I had found and fell in love with from the pictures.  I was hoping that I'd like it as much in person as I did online. 

Turns out I did.  I absolutely love it.  It's in a gated community.  It's about 1800 square feet, three bedroom, two and half bath, two story home with a fenced yard, small pool and a detached one car garage.  The community is absolutely beautiful, the house looks out over a "lake" or retention pond and has no houses in front and no houses directly behind it.  The main floor is fully tiled, has a tiny little kitchen (works for me, I don't cook), great room, small desk alcove, stackable washer/dryer, and a half bath.  The second floor has Jack and Jill bedrooms/bathroom and the master bedroom with en suite that has a jetted tub.  Then there's a fabulous deck off the front of the house.  I knew as soon as I walked in that I really wanted this home.

The real estate agent pointed out that this was the nicest home she'd seen.  It is only a few years old, in excellent repair and has everything I asked for.  She advised that we should call and let them know that I want the property.  That's what we did.

There's only one drawback and that's the size of the yard.  It's small.  There's not a lot of run and play room for the dogs.  The positive to that - I will be forced to take them on lots of nice long walks/runs to make sure they get their exercise.  The other question mark is the fact that many of the homes are vacation rentals, including the one next door - that could be good or bad.

After viewing the property we headed to another property in the Dr. Phillips area.  This is another area that I really liked and it's close to work.  The problem - the home was 30+ years old and it looked it.  Also, there was no pool and while it was fenced a sneeze would probably knock it over.  So not impressed.

The real estate agent took us to a local office so we could use the printer/fax.  I filled out the application on the house that I really wanted, paid the application fee and headed out.  All I could do now was wait.  We parted ways with the real estate agent and headed out to get some lunch.

Once we got back to the house, I was on pins and needles because I hadn't heard anything about the house.  I made a call and found out that they wanted to check with the home owner's association to make sure that the two dogs would be okay.  I panicked because I thought we'd been through this already.  Crud, what if they say no.  I'll be back to square one.

A while later, the property management company called to let me know that the dogs were approved.  Now she just had to run my application and we'd go from there.  No more news today. 

The next day I had to get up early to take my sister to the airport.  When I got back home I left another message to see where we are in the process.  My car was delivered and then I fell asleep on the couch.  Some how I missed the phone call from the property management company and didn't get it until it was too late to call back.  I have no idea how I didn't hear the phone, that never happens.

Friday I had to go get my fingerprints taken for my new job and then head to the airport to return the rental van.  I took Super Shuttle back to the house and then I called on the rental house.  My application was approved!  I had to pay the admin fee and then find out when the soonest I'd be able to get in would be.  I can't get in until July 6th, which means I'll have very little time to settle, but at least I have a place to live.  I'm waiting for the lease to be drawn up and once I have that signed I will feel so much better!  I've scheduled to have my stuff delivered to the house on July 7th, so things are moving along.

I was scheduled to check out of my vacation home on Saturday, June 30...I checked with Sunsplash and thank goodness they had another pet friendly property that I could have until July 6th.  I am so appreciative to this company.  They have been so helpful and friendly and I was able to get the key Friday so I could get everything moved over early on Saturday.

So, today I took three trips to get all my stuff moved over to the second vacation rental house.  This home is a three bedroom, two bathroom pool home with a fenced yard.  It's another older home, but it too is in nice shape and has all the comforts of home.

This evening I headed out to the pool and the dogs were playing around.  This time Jasmine fell in to the spa.  She too managed to get to the side and get herself up and out without any problems.  Two homes, two dogs falling in the pools.  We still spent a while playing in the water.  I've found that they love to get splashed and they run around like crazy critters when I splash at them, but both are afraid to come in the pool - I'm okay with that!

So that's how I made it down here to Florida.  I won't feel like it's really home until I'm in my own place, but I'm already starting to feel settled in.  I still get turned around and lost when I go out wandering around, but I'm sure it'll start making sense at some point.  I have another week before I start work which I'm very thankful for as I'm just exhausted from the weeks leading to the move, packing (40+ hours straight to get everything done the day before I left), driving and the stress of it all.  Now I can recharge a bit and hopefully I'll be ready for the challenge of a new job!

8 comments:

KippWade said...

Glad to hear the news! My step-sister is out on the east side of Orlando and when I was trying to get a job in the Orlando area, that's where I was looking for rentals. Since I'm in Indy, it's obvious that I didn't get that job :(

That trek sounds like it's very long. We went to Arizona by car when I was a kid, but I slept most of the way, so it didn't seem like it was that long of a trip. Just puts in perspective that now that I'm in Indy, I can make Orlando in about 17 hours of driving, which really isn't all that far when you compare it to your trip!

Maybe when I'm down after Thanksgiving we can meet up to say hi :) I'll be at WDW from the 25th - 29th of November. I just made Candlelight Processional package reservations for the 27th today. I'm hoping the schedule stays, as that week is Neil Patrick Harris!

Richard said...

Welcome Home!!!

I'd wondered how things were going with your move, but didn't want to contact you just to ask that question knowing that you were busy. However, I'd have been happy to buy you dinner (or something) if I'd known when you were coming through Houston.

19 years is a long time in one place (I should know, I've been in my home just over 20 years and it will be tough when we move.). However, it seems like you are on the right track and I wish you well with the new move!
Oh, and if you're not going to be able to use all your DVC points now, I might be able to help you out! ;-)

Jenny said...

Wow. I'm exhausted just reading that! Good luck with the new job and settling into the new place once you get in!

-J.Darling said...

What an awesome adventure! Thanks for sharing it! I can't wait to see how things pan out! :) Way to embrace this new life you're starting! I have a very good feeling about all of this. :)

Leanne T said...

Glad to hear that you are almost settled in your new place. Thanks for sharing your journey.

Chris said...

How's the not so dry heat? :-)

Princess Fee said...

What a journey - best of luck with your new job, Amanda!! Enjoy settling in to your home when you get it tomorrow, too! it's all very exciting for you :).

Amitabh Singh said...

Nice post..thanks
Renting in Primrose Hill

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels