2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Monday, April 2, 2012

Readers Have Great Advice - All You Have to Do is Ask!

I just wanted to thank everyone for taking some time to respond to my plea for help.  I've been struggling and all advice is welcome and gives me new things to consider.  I'd like to respond to some of the comments and hopefully that will invite more comments and ideas.
KippWade
That's one thing that scares me about WW - that I'll tire of it and anything that may have come off will come back again.  I'm pretty sure that I won't be interested in going to meetings as that is something that has been a real put off for me.  I'm not a super social person - strange coming from someone that blogs right?  It's true though.  I will take a look and see if I can find out how WW comes up with their points and what type of calorie count that equates too, etc...I can also look at the online program...Thanks!

Matt
Online WW would be a more appealing option for me just because it wouldn't require me to commit to a meeting time and place, etc...How on earth do you eat a dry potato - blech...Must have moisture of some type with potato, at least for me :).  Oh, and sweet potatoes are completely out - can't stand them, I've tried.  I will have to look in to the smoothie idea - although I don't own a blender so it would have to be a very basic smoothie to work for me...Thanks!

J Darling
I have been using MyFitnessPal for over a year.  I can be completely religious about logging everything I put in to my mouth, but it doesn't make good choices for me.  If only it could :)!  I love the idea of cooking one day a week, but honestly I hate cooking - okay, that's a bit strong.  I just have no interest in cooking.  Even easy and quick is a hassle to me.  I always do breakfast and it includes cereal with milk (usually Kashi cereal with protein and fiber) and a serving of fruit.  This holds me pretty well until lunch.  As for salt, I do monitor that and am almost always within allowed amounts - I don't really like salty things and pre-made meals don't always mean full of sodium - you just have to watch the labels.  Oh - and we won't talk about sleep.  Sleep has never been a strong suit of mine - 3 to 4 hours a night is my normal :)...Thanks!

mgreene
First let me say that I envy that you don't have to diet and have the self control, commitment and ability to maintain a healthy lifestyle.  I've struggled with weight my entire life - no joke, it's a constant day to day battle for me.  So, reading my workouts might not give you a true picture of the intensity that is put in to those workouts.  I do Fartleks quite often on my walks and runs - and yep, I even do them on the treadmill.  Very familiar with the concept and you're absolutely right I can up that intensity again and start pushing even harder there.  As for training so much on the treadmill - I had a conversation with Jeff Galloway about training this way and his advice was to keep doing it and making sure you get as many long runs outside as you can.  It's difficult for me to get outside - especially as it gets hotter here in AZ.  I trust Jeff Galloway in this advice as I've accomplished a lot of distances using the combination.  You might notice that I've been adding incline to all my treadmill walks and runs where I can to increase that intensity as well.  I can't say that I've used juice before so this is something I will certainly need to look in to.  I do eat fruit - apples, pears and oranges are my go to favorites and occasionally berries.

Cara
Thank you for commenting!  Congratulations on your success with WW.  It's definitely another reason for me to do more research on their program to see if there's any way I can make it work in my life.

Again, I thank everyone for commenting.  I got a lot of great ideas and things that I need to do some more research on.  Let me know if you have any other specific questions about my routine or diet or anything else.  I know I need to shake things up and all your advice will certainly benefit me :)!

7 comments:

Matt said...

Lol! I have always loved potatoes, so I guess I just have the knack for them. As for the blender, they sell those small, pulse blenders that are perfect for smoothies. The blender cup is a portable mug so all you have to do is blend and go. It's really handy when you're on the go.

Cara said...

I do WW online and with the help of the apps on the iphone :) 4 kiddos, deployed husband- no way am I making it to a meeting ;) I do know what you mean about getting bored- some days it can be a little frustrating because it takes so much planning on my part and all I want to do is go and grab something fast and easy (which usually also means unhealthy). I'm trying to keep my eye on the end goal- that helps most of the time, it's all about breaking bad habits that I've created over the past years. Best of luck! You can do it :)

Kathryn said...

I missed the chance to comment on the other post, so I will comment here. I am roughly your weight and have struggled mightily to lose and maintain a healthy weight, so I feel you.

No offense to people who don't struggle, but it's not the same thing. I relate it to my friend who does not have a weight problem, but does have a spending problem. For someone who doesn't struggle with , it's as simple as steering the rudder slightly to correct your course. If you have the problem, be it spending, eating, etc., it's not as easy for you to just naturally "know" what to do. You need budgets, plans, etc and need to watch constantly.

So, totally with you on the dry potatoes and I also hate sweet potatoes. What I used to do with potatoes, was add a small amount of butter spray, some light or fat free sour cream, and then a lot of steamed broccoli. The mixture together really worked and filled me up.

Smoothies. Buy an immersion blender (which is what Matt is referring to). They rock and you can get the Cuisinart one for under $30 online. Super easy to clean and practically no mess, and they will blend ice.

I don't mind cooking but at the end of a long workday, I don't want to.

If you are doing low calorie, filling up on veggies is really important. Steam fresh bags, or large salads, help. Frozen veggies are almost as good as fresh. Sometimes I will add one or the other to a lean cuisine or other convenient meal, and that fills me up. Like, take a pasta lean cuisine and a steam fresh bag of broccoli and combine the two. More filling, and easy.

I sure don't have all the answers, though. Good luck, and I'll be reading. Maybe someday we'll meet at a Disney race! :)

-J.Darling said...

It sounds like you already know what you're doing wrong when you state the logging doesn't help you make good decisions. That's really all WW Online is - a logging system that uses "points" instead. Sure, they have health food educational articles, but you can find those all over the internet for free.

Granted, some folks need the financial investment to help them become more invested in their health, but even WW won't help you make good decisions. No matter what program you get on, making healthy decisions is up to you.

Sounds like maybe you need to (or are ready to) break out of your comfort zones and do something new/different to spark that once again?

-J.Darling said...

Just ran across a Special K program that's free too! Might be worth googling for an on-the-go gal like you looking for something quick and easy (and different).

KippWade said...

The one thing that I probably learned the most from doing the WW Points system is to start looking at food differently.

Once I studied what foods where what points, I was able to make on the fly decisions much easier while eating out.

If you do go the WW route, I highly suggest Googling WW points for restaurants. Find out what would fit best for you and start working from there.

Leanne T said...

Weight Watchers worked for me to help me lose 55 pounds. It's a great program, but now I'm struggling to keep it off. Like you, I have struggled with my weight for my entire life, and every day. Right now, just limiting carbs and eating lean protein, fruits, veggies. I can't do WW anymore because I find I am constantly obsessing on how much I'm eating with the points values. I don't see it as a lifestyle for me, but if you're someone who has never learned to eat healthy, then WW is a great program to get on.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels