2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

2012 Princess Half Trip Report - February 25, 2012

Alarm one rang at 4:00am and alarm two rang at 4:10am and I finally got up at 4:15am.  I got up and got geared up and ready to go.  I headed out to the bus stop at 4:40am.  The bus was already there, but I sat on a bench and read until more people showed up.  As I was sitting there I realized that it was super windy and more than a bit chilly this morning.

I was on the bus at 4:55am and we left the resort at 5:00am.  We got to Epcot at 5:15am and I headed in and hit a nice clean port-a-potty first thing.  Then I walked around a bit and read some more.  Rapunzel, Flynn and Maximus (yes, a real horse) were there for photos.

De'Dee arrived around 5:40am and we stood and chatted for a while then walked over toward the corral entrances.  It was still chilly and very windy.  They finally let us in the "corrals" at 6:45am.  Shortly before 7:00am the National Anthem was sung - my goodness the singer was definitely a high soprano.  She pulled it off, but I can't say that I enjoyed how high ranged it was.  Then, the fireworks went off and we were on our way.

We started out with a slow jog and barely made it a few feet because of crowding and we decided to just walk - a nice slow easy walk, we didn't even try to speed it up.  The first mile of this course is nothing too exciting as you head around the parking lot and in to the back of the park.  Then you enter onstage in World Showcase.

There were quite a few characters out today - Snow White and Dopey in Germany, John Smith, Pocahontas and Meeko in America, and Belle and Beast in France.  There may have been more, but those are the ones I remembered seeing.
Photobucket
We continued on to Future World and saw Donald and Mickey. 
Photobucket
Photobucket
We just kept walking along until we hit the finish line.  I hate to admit that this 5K took 52:13 to finish.  It's so not cool to do a 5K that slow, but the good thing is that I wasn't tired and I wasn't sore so bonus!
Photobucket
Medals around our necks we grabbed Powerade and water.  Then we got in line for our finisher photos.  There were some great costumes today - dalmations, Ursula, Cruella, the Evil Queen, etc...Some really creative people out there.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Next we grabbed food.  I was pretty excited because instead of a bag of food, they had boxes of food.  Of course, I had no idea what was in the boxes, but it sure was easy to grab and carry.  Outside of the boxes there were also bananas and fruit snacks.  Then we headed to the buses and on our separate ways.  I really love doing these 5Ks with De'Dee, it's quite a change for me since I train solo and normally do the races solo.  Having De'Dee there with me keeps my mind off the boring parts and we just tend to have a nice chat as we do the course!

I boarded the bus at 8:12am as we were on our way.  Arrived at the resort at 8:30am, headed to my room to take some photos, eat some snacks and relax a bit before heading out again.
Photobucket
5K Medal
Photobucket
5K Lanyard
Photobucket
5K Lanyard

I have seen a lot of diferent opinions on the snack boxes that were provided for the 5K.  I'll share my opinion - I loved it!  I liked that there were healthy snacks and a good variety.  Take a look and see what you think.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
2012 PH
2012 PH
2012 PH
2012 PH
I liked that it wasn't the standard bagels with nothing to put on them, bananas and oranges.  This was a nice change from the standard fare and I actually found most of it pretty palatable.

At 10:35am I headed to the bus and arrived at Hollywood Studios at 11:15am.  I decided to just hang out in front of the American Idol Experience theater until noon when I could get in to watch Jonathan's rehearsal.  Yep, he made it as a contestant on the 12:30pm show!

Jonathan's friend Jason showed up and we were directed in to the theater so that we could watch the rehearsals.  Jonathan's rehearsal went really well and I based on the other contestants it seemed like it would be a really close competition.

The actual show started at 12:30pm and Jonathan sang first.  He sang Circle of Life and you could tell he was a bit nervous in the beginning, but he settled in to the song quickly and did a great job.  The judges were all really complimentary (except about his socks) and the audience was super supportive.  Unfortunately, Jonathan did not make it through but I have not doubt that it was a really close race!
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
We left the theater and met up with Jonathan.  Turns out that Jason lost his glasses, they were brand new, he just bought them at the park today.  He headed in to the theater and they told him to go to guest services and they'd give him another pair since the theater had already been cleaned out.  He checked with guest services and they wouldn't do anything.  So we headed out of the park and at the stand in front of the entrance Jonathan stopped and talked to the Cast Member.  The Cast Member made a phone call and they agreed to give Jason a new pair of glasses as long as they were the same price.  So, Jason got a replacement pair of glasses and the moral of the story it - it never hurts to ask, especially at Disney!  How cool is that?

The three of us headed to the boats and headed to Epcot.  Jason had to get back to his team as he was traveling for work so he left before we got to Epcot.  Jonathan and I continued on to Epcot and made it in to the park just after 2:00pm.

Journey Into Your Imagination was first up - I still love Figment even if he is a bit bratty in this version.  Then it was time to grab some water to stay hydrated and over to Spaceship Earth.  I love Spaceship Earth, it's one of my favorites!

It was time for dinner over at Teppan Edo at the Japan Pavilion.  We checked in, headed upstairs and were seated immediately.  We had a female chef and she was very cute and quite fun to watch.  I had the steak and shrimp combo and that comes with noodles and veggies and rice.  I was quite full by the time I was done.  This was also a pretty affordable meal, in terms of sit down restaurants.

It was about 4:50pm and we headed out.  Both of us were ready to head our separate ways so that we could rest and relax before the race in the morning.  I was back at the resort at 5:30pm.  I had to stop at the market to grab some water and snacks for after the race tomorrow and then I headed to my room.

The animals were out in force this evening.  There were four giraffes, four zebras, two elands, crowned crane and ostriches.  They were all right outside my balcony.  One of the giraffes was just hilarious.  It was sticking his tongue out to grab a palm frond.  When it got bored of that it started chasing the crane and the ostrich.  It was so fun to watch this giraffe run back and forth - it was quite impressive and fun to watch.  I ended up spending a lot of time watching the animals and taking pictures.
2012 PH
2012 PH
2012 PH
2012 PH
2012 PH
2012 PH
PH 2012
Finally it got dark and I had to stop watching the critters.  I got my gear ready to go for the race, filled my water bottle, got my Lifesavers ready to go and made sure everything was there and ready so I wouldn't have to think in the morning.

I sat down to journal about the day and realized that I was re-writing my report on the 5K so I gave it up as bad work and watched a little TV.  At 8:10pm I decided to try to get some sleep.  I knew that the morning was going to come way too quickly.

1 comments:

Richard said...

Great report and love all the photos! All those great resort photos of the animals makes me want to stay there one day even more--and what a great way to relax by animal watching!
The box "meal" is a great idea and I hope it catches on, although I'd hoped for something a bit more substantial for longer races.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels