2014 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 291.23
(Run/Walked = 186.36, Biked = 101.10, Elliptical = 3.77)

Countdowns!

Monday, February 20, 2012

2012 Tinker Bell Trip Report - January 29, 2012

I slept okay, but I did get up at one point to grab some water and I ended up running right in to the wooden bed frame with my knee - such a clod I am!  No harm done though.
The first alarm went off at 3:10am, but I was already awake.  The next alarm went off at 3:15am and I got up and got myself ready to go.  I ate a Powerbar and while my throat is still sore I'm feeling okay right now.

At 3:55am I headed out and started my walk to the race area.  I met a very nice lady from Atlanta that was also doing her Coast to Coast since she finished the Marathon Relay earlier in the month at Walt Disney World.  It was nice having someone friendly to talk with on the walk this morning.

It was about 4:20am when I reached the race site and I headed to take a bio break.  I was having horrible flashbacks of the last half and all the tummy troubles I had.  Then it was just standing around waiting to go to the corrals until about 4:50am.  On the way to the corral there was a line of port-a-potties and I decided to take another quick break since it was right before my corral.

Corral C was my home prior to the race and I entered at 5:05am.  As I was moving along to get closer to the front I noticed a woman wearing all black and she was on the ground "stretching" - I wish I could describe this better, but she was sort of in child's pose with  one leg stretched behind her.  Sort of an odd stretch, but I digress.  There was an older lady walking along and she did not see the lady on the ground stretching and fell face first to the concrete.  It was a really frightening thing to witness.  A few of us went to help the older woman up and thank goodness she was okay and so was the lady stretching.  The lady that fell was complaining about the lady stretching and the lady stretching was complaining that she had to stretch somewhere.  They were both annoyed with each other - see, two sides to each story and both felt they were right.


Photobucket
Waiting in the corral

The announcers did a great job keeping everyone hyped up about the race.  There were a couple of celebrities that spoke - I don't think I knew who they were so I didn't pay much attention.  Corral A took off at 5:47am, a couple of minutes late.  At 5:52am we started moving forward and corral B was off and shortly after I was off.

Today the plan was to run/walk however I could.  I wasn't sure how my breathing would be so I figured I'd take it easy for the first half and try to go faster the second half if I could.  I decided that I wasn't going to let this icky sicky stop me today if I could help it.  As long as I could keep the breathing under control and not cough I'd run some portion of each mile.  I was also going to use my one Lifesaver and sip of water at each mile marker.

Mile one took 14:52 and was just running on the road.  It wasn't super exciting but itwas a good warm up mile and I was feeling okay so far. 

Next we moved in to Disneyland and I have to say this was pretty amazing.  There were so many characters out - Beauty and the Beast, Cinderella and Prince Charming, Rapunzel and Flynn Rider were all on a float.  Some of the ones I really enjoyed seeing - Tarzan and Hercules, Pocahontas and John Smith, Wendy and Peter Pan, the Lost Boys took over the carousel, there were pirates everywhere, Captain Hook and Smee, Captain Jack Sparrow, the Three Caballeros and there may have been more.  It was by far the most characters I've ever seen out for a runDisney race - it was very cool.  I ended up walking the park so I could take in all the characters and atmosphere.  Mile two took 14:40.

This course really meandered around the park.  It was really quite a long trek through the park and this offered quite a bit of sightseeing opportunities.  One very odd thing was running through the castle from the front to the back instead of coming from the back out the front.  This meant no great castle photo op, but it was fun to do something a bit different.
Photobucket
Outside Small World

As we exited Disneyland there was mile three and it took me 14:38.  I was feeling pretty consistent at this point.  Downtown Disney was our next destination and this was another shake up in the course compared to the Disneyland Half.  There was a ton of spectator support along here and I saw a sign that I thought was just too funny, it read - Worst Parade Ever!  I was feeling pretty good at this point, the Lifesavers were keeping the cough away.  Exiting Downtown Disney we reached mile four and it took 14:42.

It gets less easy to describe from here on out because we're on the streets at this point.  There are quite a few spectators at street corners.  Mile five took 14:26.  I'm still feeling pretty good at this point, there's no coughing but my chest is tightening up a little bit - nothing serious yet.  The best part - my legs are feeling mighty fine.

Still trudging along on the streets.  Every once in a while there's a cheer squad or band or something to entertain us, but it seems very spread out.  Mile six took 13:55.  I'm noticing that it's getting a little tougher to breathe.  I am able to stop the coughing for the most part which helps.  I decide to run when I can as long as I can control the breathing and I'm feeling grateful that fast walking is not an issue and my legs are feeling good.  Mile seven takes 14:24.

I'm at the Muzeo area and there are more buildings that are a little taller and there seems to be more concrete and I notice it's a bit warmer here.  Overall, the weather has been fantastic.  Sunny, but cool and not too humid - perfect running weather.  Back on Harbor Boulevard and more familiar ground for me.  Mile eight takes 13:45.

Now I'm running short segments until mile 10 where I'll try to run more if I can for the last 5K.  Surprisingly, the legs are holding up pretty well, but breathing is tougher.  Mile nine takes 14:02 and I"m still trudging along. 

We're still on the streets but we're nearing areas that the Disneyland Half uses too.  Finally, after what seems like forever I see the mile 10 marker.  Mile 10 takes 14:12.  Now is the time to see what I can do.  I try to run more now.  It's a bit tough to keep the air moving in to the lungs, but the legs are feeling great which helps.  Mile 11 takes 13:17.

Past the mile 11 marker and we pass Garden Walk.  Continuing on I know that California Adventure is getting closer and that means the end is near.
Photobucket
Heading to California Adventure

Mile 12 takes 13:05 and we are now in California Adventure.  I see Sully and Needleman.  I am again surprised at how much distance they have us cover in this park.
Photobucket
Bug's Land
Photobucket
Hollywood Pictures Backlot

I'm running/walking the best that I can at this point.  Time to exit California Adventure and I'm that much closer to finishing.  My legs are still feeling really good and no coughing at this point.  Mile 13 takes 13:24.

The home stretch.  Now I will keep running until the end.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
The last bit of the race (.45mi by my Garmin) takes 13:00 per mi.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I'm done.  I high five Goofy and Pluto - yeah!  I've very happy that another race is done.  I get my medal, my Coast to Coast medal, a Mylar blanket, water and Powerade.  Then I hop in line for a finisher's photo.  I have a bit of a coughing fit while I'm waiting.
Photobucket
I grab an orange, banana and a bagel.  Then I head out.  It's a bit of a long walk around to Downtown Disney, but that's okay because my legs are feeling fine and I just ate my bagel as I walked.  I finally made it through security and it was about 9:40am. 

Back at the hotel around 9:55am.  I ate my fruit and drank my Powerade and tried to stop the coughing.  Coughing seems to start when I stop moving.  I took my time cleaning up, reading, relaxing and ordering some food.

I did a little reflecting and realized that you really can do anything if you want to.  Even sick I could have pushed harder today during the first half.  I am confident that having a base built up is important and is a livesaver as I hadn't run for almost three weeks and I still did okay.  I really need to work on speed.  I love doing these events and hope to continue for many years to come.

At 2:30pm I decided I could use a bit of a nap.  So that's what I did and I finally got going again at 4:30pm.  I have that darn sore throat making swallowing hard again.  The only real pain I'm feeling is that the all of my right foot is a bit sore.

I headed out to California Adventure at 5:00pm and walking felt good.  Stretching the legs is nice.  I entered the park at 5:15pm.  My only goal was to ride the Little Mermaid.  It was a 20 minute wait, but it moved right along.  I enjoyed my journey under the sea until the end when we stopped for about five minutes.

Time to see what else I want to do.  I decided to walk to Tower of Terror, but the wait was 45 minutes so that wasn't going to happen.  Monsters Inc was also a long wait, as was Soarin' and everythinge else.  So, I headed out.

Disneyland was next and I was in the park by 6:10pm.  I headed straight to Pirates and a 20 minute wait.  I had the front row all to myself and no, I didn't get wet at all.  Then I headed to Haunted Mansion and it was a walk on!  Had some fun witnessing the ghostly havoc and mayhem.  The second moving walkway was not moving and it was a nice uphill climb - so great after a half marathon. 

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was a 15 minute wait, which turned out to be even shorter.  I love this one at night - awesome!  I walked around looking for a short line, but the park was packed and they cancelled the fireworks show due to technical difficulties.

At 7:30pm I headed out of the park and over to World of Disney for a little more shopping.  Right after the race the I Did It! shirts were everywhere, but now they are nowhere to be seen.  I bought a couple of things and decided to call it a night.

On the way back to the hotel I stopped at a market to grab a snack and some drinks.  I was back in my room by 8:15pm.  I snacked a bit, read, watched some TV and just chilled out.  I packed some stuff around 9:40pm and stopped to journal a bit.  I was pretty tired as it had been a long day and I headed to bed at 10:30pm.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Congratulations on earning your Coast To Coast medal! I'm awed by your determination and hope you feel better soon.

It sounds like the lady stretching might have been doing the swan or pigeon pose. I understand the desire to stretch before a race, but I think it's probably smarter to stick with standing stretches. I'm glad I wasn't the only one with no clue who the "celebrities" were.

I'm glad you mentioned running through the castle from front to back as odd. Maybe that's why I don't even remember running through the castle at all! Or it could have something to do with the size, haha.

Leanne T said...

Great job! Congrats on your Coast to Coast medal.

-J.Darling said...

Way to go Coast to Coast Champ!!!

My Favorite Line From This Blog:

I did a little reflecting and realized that you really can do anything if you want to.

YES YES YES!

Matt said...

Congrats on the Coast to Coast!!! You have continued to amaze and inspire me. Keep up the good work!

Becka said...

Question for you - how did the folks at the finish know that you were a Coast-to-Coast earner? Is there a designation on your bib?

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels