2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, January 1, 2012

New Year's Day 5K

Happy New Year!

Today marked the fifth consecutive year that I've participated in the New Year's Day 5K. This was the seventh annual New Year's Day 5K and it's amazing how much it has grown over the years.

I got myself ready to go and headed out at about 7:35am. Thankfully it is not an early race since I didn't get as much sleep as I would have liked. It was a quick and easy drive to the race site at Papago Park which is right by the Phoenix Zoo.

It was super mild weather this morning. It was about 45 degrees when I arrived - warm enough that it didn't even matter that I forgot my gloves on the counter at home.

I walked right up to collect my bib and t-shirt and then headed back to the car to wait until closer to race start time to warm up the legs.

Last year I did this race in 42:57 so I wanted to try to do better today if I could.  I brought the interval timer and figured I'd try doing a 2 minute run/1minute walk. 

About 15 minutes before race start I headed out and got in a nice half mile warm up walk to get the blood flowing.  I found a place at the back of the crowd and waited to start. 

Then it was time to start.  I started out doing my run/walk intervals, but the legs were still a bit stiff and not really ready to run so I did a fast walk for a while until I just felt like I should run.  I loosely followed my run/walk intervals for a while and then walked for a bit.  Finally about a quarter mile from the finish I decided to jog the rest of the way in.  I felt pretty good overall and I didn't pay much attention to me time at all.  I didn't try to go very fast since I have some important races coming up next week :).

My Garmin showed 3.10 miles in 41:38 and the official race time showed 42:07....Certainly not my fastest race ever, but it sure felt good to get some jogging in there and according to the Garmin I kept a 13:26 per mile pace and that's about where I've been doing training.

After the race I grabbed a cup of water and headed to the car. The weather was pretty beautiful today so I wasn't overheated or too cold which was nice.

Overall I had a good time with over 350 other folks out there starting the New Year with a nice 5K.  I think it was a great start to the New Year and speaks well of things to come!

2 comments:

Leanne T said...

I admire you. I've done only one 5K in my life. My goals were: to finish, and to not drop dead on the course. I accomplished both. I think my time was somewhere in the high 40's.

Chris said...

Isn't it amazing how our training times tend to be very similar to race times :-). It's like, hey, if your running over 100 miles a month, the pace you keep there is probably a pretty good predictor of what you'll do on race day. Somehow that fact eludes people..like here is something magical on race day that will turn us into Kenyan's or something, lol!

The fact is that you have been the most stable in training out of all of us, so it's great to see how that translates on the race course. Great work on beating your 2011 time. :-)

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels