2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Friday, December 2, 2011

Countdown to 2012 WDW Marathon Weekend #33

#33 - Meeting new people out on the race courses!

There is one thing that I absolutely love about the Disney races.  You meet the nicest, funnest, most inspirational people out on the race courses. 

No matter how tired or sore you get on the course, there's always an encouraging word or smile from other racers to help you get through the tough spots.  People really step up to give others a boost.  Honestly, this is true of a lot of races, but I still think the Disney race participants are some of the funnest and nicest out there.

In return, I love to help encourage people that look like they are struggling.  Even if I'm feeling like I'm not going to make it, there could be someone that feels even worse and if I can say something nice to keep them going I most certainly will.

What do I mean about inspirational people?  I met a 63 year old man that fell in the first mile of the Disneyland Half Marathon and he was still out there going for it.  I met a 66 year old man that was running his 140th half marathon.  I met a husband and wife, both over 70, out there toughing out the half marathon and kicking my rear in the process!  I ran quite a few miles with Mr. Incredible and Super Woman during the 2011 WDW Full Marathon.  I ran with Santa Claus - until he left me in the dust.  I stayed with a man who was a marathon maniac and after completing the Goofy Challenge was off to Arizona for the PF Chang Marathon the following week.  I helped motivate a woman that hurt her knee on the course and was almost in tears - we went through Animal Kingdom together and she made me realize that I could keep going.  There are even more stories of the amazing people I've met on Disney race courses, but those are a few of the more memorable ones.

You will see people running in costume, wearing stories on their clothing, or just keeping others going by congratulating them or giving them a high five as they go by.  I feel lucky to count myself as a Disney runner and I can't wait to see how many new people I'll meet and have great conversations or interactions with!

3 comments:

-J.Darling said...

I still remember this AWESOME woman I met during my first Triathlon. She was struggling on the run, and I'm not sure how it happened, but we ran/walked the entire thing together! She sprinted at the end and beat me by about 5 seconds, but it was a GREAT thing! I never got her name, but she was great!
The 5k I'm running tomorrow is with another Navy wife I've never met. Her husband is on the same boat as mine, so I'm really looking forward to getting out there and running AND getting to chat it up with some great folks - we all have something in common already - we're running!

Richard said...

I love meeting new friends on the course. Last Disney half in 2010 I talked with Mike Rahlman of the Be Our Guest Podcast for at least a mile!

It's a small world sometimes!

Mark Carlson said...

I had another great time at the 2012 Goofy Challenge. Hope to see you in 2013.

Mr. Incredible

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels