2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

2011 Disneyland Half Marathon Trip Report Day 4 (Sept 5, 2011)

Monday, September 5, 2011

No alarm today - yeah! I sort of lounged around until 8:20am.  I was going to watch a little TV while I got ready for the day, but that was not to be - I couldn't change the channel from the TV or the remote...The Red Lion channel just wasn't that riveting.  It does seem that something was always wrong with this room, which was frustrating at times.

I decided to eat a little breakfast, check in with work, and sent an email to runDisney regarding my finish time.  Finally I got up, took a shower and got ready to head out for the day.

At 10am I left the room, took the walk to Disneyland and was in the park by 10:15.  Yes, even when not officially training I can still walk a pretty good pace.  Okay, so now might be a good time to talk about how I was feeling - the day after the race.  My left side seems to be the most affected this time, my hip down to my knee were really aching and sore in very localized areas.  My left leg did seem to ease up a little bit the more I walked so I took that as a good sign.  On the right side, my knee was a bit achy and my quads/inner thighs were very sore.  All of these aches and pains were manageable, stairs were really the only thing that caused true pain.  Getting up and down was tough at times and my legs were sore enough that I couldn't sit with my legs crossed.  Like I mentioned before, I don't know if I've ever been this sore after a race and I am a bit perplexed by this as I feel like I was the most trained and prepared for this one - strange.

My one goal for the day at Disneyland was to ride Star Tours.  I knew the line was going to be horrendous due to the holiday and I was right.  It was a 75 minute posted wait time when I got there, even if I wanted to do fast pass I wouldn't be able to come back until 7:45pm and I knew I wasn't going to make it that long today.  So, I hopped in line and waited in the brutal heat and humidity - reports showed it got up to 93 with 65% humidity and I was feeling it while waiting in line in the sun.  As we were waiting in line two Storm Troopers invaded the line.  It was pretty cool - they walked through the line taking pictures and tormenting guests (I felt sorry for them as it had to be hot).  I really wanted to ask them if either of them was the one to tell us to have a nice day at the 5K on Saturday :).

I did enjoy Star Tours.  We went to Hoth - well, at least it was cold.  The 3D was nice and was a pretty good addition.  I will reserve my full judgement until I can see some of the other destinations though.  I am glad that I waited for it.

Next I just decided to walk around and take pictures and just do whatever I felt like.  The park was pretty darn crowded that's for sure.  Finally I made my way over to the Frontierland Train Station - waited for two trains and finally got on.  I rode the full circuit which is something I haven't done in a very long time, it's a great way to take a breather and relax for a little bit.

At 2pm I headed out of Disneyland and over to California Adventure.  I decided to check out Monsters Inc.  first.  It was about a 5 minute wait or so.  I really like this ride, it's fun and cute.  At the end Roz was heckling me about taking pictures - oh goody another camera.  Okay, I'm ready for my close up - I was ignoring her.  Then she says, are you ignoring me now?  It was pretty darn funny.

More walking around and picture taking and I ended up in A Bug's Land.  I was basically melting and It's Tough to be a Bug was starting in 2 minutes.  Cool and dark - you betcha, I'm in.  I do like the show and there was this older gentleman in the row in front of me and he laughed so hard when the lady next to him yelped as the bugs went under her rear at the end - it totally cracked me up and made me laugh out loud.  It was such an unexpected reaction as he made no noise through the rest of the show.

The heat was starting to get to me and I knew I had not had enough to drink but there wasn't anything close to where I was that I wanted.  I headed in the 45 minute line for Little Mermaid.  It was so hot I thought I'd die - parts of the queue were set up in direct sunlight and that was brutal.  Thankfully the line was really only about 20-25 minutes and I just really enjoy that ride - just so good and a really well done dark ride.

As I walked around some more I ended up buying a Vitamin Water Zero and bottle of water.  Ah - cold and refreshing!  I walked around a bit longer and took a few more photos and as it came up to 4:00pm I decided to start heading out.  The park is so torn up that I didn't really find anything to buy in the few stores that were really open - very disappointing.

At 4:40pm I went back over to Disneyland.  Now it was time for some shopping.  First up, a new Star Tours pin over at Star Traders.  Then it occurred to me that I was getting pretty hungry.  I thought I'd just head back over to Village Haus, but as soon as I walked in, I walked right back out because the lines were crazy.  So I kept walking around the park and ended up at the Hungry Bear.  There was no wait and the cast members were oohing and aahing about my Coast to Coast shirt and just super friendly - maybe they were bored :).  I ordered a burger which came with sweet potato fried and a rootbeer.  What an absolutely great place to sit, people watch and recharge.  There are tons of places to sit overlooking the water and the Mark Twain or Columbia as they sail by and I just found it to be a really nice area.

After enjoying my meal and reading for a while (yes, sometimes I read while I'm eating solo, I love the Kindle app on my iPhone) it was almost 6:00pm and I headed back to Main Street to do some more shopping.  I usually love shopping in the Emporium as there is a lot of variety and inevitably I find things I want, but not so much today.  Yes, I found some things, but either I've become jaded, been to Disney too many times (impossible) or the products are so genericized that I'm having trouble finding the unique things I used to really love.  At least the things that I did find came with a 20% discount thanks to my premiere pass!

As I was heading out I caught the very tail end of Mickey's Soundsational Parade.  Now, I'm not a parade person as a rule and I only saw the Mary Poppins part, but I sort of wish I would have watched the full parade. The part I saw was really incredible with Mary, Bert, chimney sweeps, carousel horses and so much more - very impressive!

I get almost to the exit and I am approached by a survey taker, but not the ask you a couple of questions and send you on your way.  This time I was asked if I had a few minutes to go inside and answer some questions - sure, why not.  I was lead in to a room with about 8 computers and directed to sit at one of them.  I then answered 20-30 questions regarding my visit - it was pretty basic stuff but interesting.  What did I get for my trouble?  A silly little Mickey sticker - yep, that's it!

I headed back to Downtown Disney and first stop was back to World of Disney.  I found a couple of things that I had to have, but not what I really wanted.  I was searching for a Labor Day pin as I had picked one up in 2008, couldn't find one in 2010 but figured they'd have one this year.  I found out that they don't make a Labor Day pin any more.  Next on my list of wants was another key chain Vinylmation - I only found a few at D Street and sadly it wasn't a series I was interested in - another fail.  With that, my shopping trip was pretty much done and over.

Right about 7:35pm I headed out for the walk back to the hotel.  I was back in my room by 7:45 - yes, I was walking pretty quickly.  It was a lot of walking today, but it actually felt good to move and stretch out stiff and sore muscles.  I fixed the TV in my room by unhooking the cables and plugging them back in and making sure they were tight.  So, I watched some TV while I journaled and packed up to get ready to head home in the morning.

It was a great trip overall.  I do wish that I would have been able to do better with my time in the Half Marathon, but looks like I need to keep pushing and working towards that PR that has been so elusive.  Despite the slower time, I did manage to use run/walk for the whole race and still have fun and smile and chat with people and that means a lot to me.  It also gave me my second Coast to Coast medal and I know I worked hard for and earned it.

I'll be posting some of the pictures I took this trip over the next few days/weeks so stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels