2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, September 10, 2011

2011 Disneyland Half Marathon Trip Report Day 1 (Sept 2, 2011)

Friday, September 2, 2011
My how the time flies.  I am heading to Anaheim for my third Disneyland Half Marathon.  I am down about 35 pounds from last year's race, I'm run/walking now instead of just walking and feeling pretty good overall.  I don't know what it is about this race, but my legs are swollen again this year, hopefully the swelling will go down prior to the races.

I am actually getting excited for this race.  I know the distance, I pretty much know the course and I'm going to do the best I can.

The flight was super quick and easy and the plane wasn't full so it was nice having an empty middle seat.  I headed straight to baggage and didn't have to wait to long for my suitcase to show up.  I headed out to check in with Super Shuttle and was on the van within 5 minutes.  Then the fun started.

Instead of being on the van for about 35 minutes, it ended up being well over an hour.  One of the passengers didn't speak much English and had written down the address he was going to incorrectly so we went on a bit of a wild goose chase.  No worries for me, I had time and it wasn't going to do any good getting upset.

I finally arrived at the hotel.  I was staying at the Red Lion Anaheim on Harbor Boulevard.  I headed in and was checked in and had my room key within a couple of minutes - very quick and easy.  I ended up being on the first floor - something I don't really like, but I figured what the heck.  The room was pretty nice.  I had a king bed and there was plenty of room.  There was also a refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and in room safe.  It was a little odd when I walked in I was hearing birds and water - they had left on the sound machine noise on the iPod dock.  I thought that was kind of a nice touch.

I took a few minutes to freshen up and then I headed out to see how bad it was going to be walking to the parks.  The walk was easy, but a little longer than I expected.  It was about 1.38mi from the hotel to Downtown Disney.  There were probably other ways that I could walk, but this was a straight walk down Harbor and in to the esplanade so it was a no brainer.  It took just a minute or two to get through security, so the walk and security line took about 20 minutes total...Very doable at this point.

First on the agenda was taking care of park tickets.  I ended up buying the Premiere Pass - yeah, the one that gets you in to both Disneyland parks, all four Walt Disney World parks, and the two water parks.  I had done the math ahead of time and determined that with my plans for next year's races this was going to be the best option for me.  It was still hard to spend the money, but it's just a pretty pass :)!

It was about 11:30am when I headed over to the Disneyland Hotel Convention Center for the Expo.  Now, you remember how I have lists of things to have with you?  Man, my brain was not functioning - my race waivers, receipts, etc...all sitting in my hotel room...UGH!  I knew that I'd be able to print my waivers again at the Expo so I headed over to get in line, and quite a line it was too!

They started letting us in at 11:45am instead of noon.  I headed to the printer line and had everything printed and signed in less than 10 minutes.  Then I headed over to the Coast to Coast line and got in the line for my bib number.  It doesn't seem to matter when I go, or what my number my line is always the longest and this one was long.

As I'm waiting in line, I look over and who do I see waiting in line?  Justin - he was in line to get his bib and wrist band.  Funny how we tend to run in to each other here.  He was in a much shorter line and was done way before me, but he stopped by to say hi on his way over to the 5K packet pick up.

30 minutes later and I had made it through the line to get my bib, wristband and the pins I had ordered. At least I remember to have the wristband put on the correct wrist this year!  I was going to head over to the 5K packet pickup and on the way I stopped to check that my B-Tag was working.  If you are unfamiliar with the B-Tag it is the timing tag that remains on the back of your bib - you do not remove it and you have to be careful not to bend the bib or you could damage it.  I walked over the timing mat the first time and the bib didn't register, I walked across the second time and everything came up correctly so I figured I was good to go.

Photobucket
The 5K line was pretty much empty and I walked right up and got my bib for the 5K.  I love that the bibs are personalized for the 5K when you register early enough - it's a nice touch.

Next stop the expo floor to get my shirts and goody bags.  I walked right up to the Half Marathon shirt table and then walked right up to the 5K shirt table - no wait, so it was super fast!  Of course, then I had to stop and organize everything so the bibs weren't getting bent up and that it was easier to carry.

Official merchandise was next on my list of to do's at the expo.  I thought there was a good amount of fun stuff for this race.  I could have spent even more money than I did.  I picked up the things that I wanted and then headed to get in line to pay.  Wow - what an incredibly long line...It took over 20 minutes to get up to a cashier, it was crowded.  The cool thing was, the Premiere Pass saved me 20% on the merchandise so I was pretty happy with that.

I walked around the expo to see if I could find anything else that I couldn't live without.  As I was wandering, I came across the runDisney booth and Jeff Galloway was standing there all by himself, no line of people waiting to talk to him.  I stopped and chatted with him for several minutes about the run/walk method, the race, and general running stuff.  I thanked him for all he's done for running and he told me to email him if I ever have any questions.  I am really glad he's associated with runDisney, he's truly a down to earth person, very friendly and seems so genuine.  It was cool to just chat with him.

It was interesting though - the runDisney booth was allowing registration for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon, even though the website says it is sold out.  I wonder if that means they added additional spaces or if they had held some back for the other runDisney events to entice people to sign up.

I headed around the expo floor for a while longer and just couldn't find anything else that I couldn't live without.  It was only about 15 minutes until Jeff Galloway was going to be speaking so I headed over and grabbed a seat.  I really enjoy his sessions as he takes a lot of audience questions and it's always interesting to see what other runners are asking.  He's a very dynamic and interactive speaker so it's always entertaining as well.

At 2:45pm I headed out of the expo for the walk back to the hotel.  I was a bit tired as it had been a busy week and day and I was in need of food as I hadn't eaten yet.  I thought I'd try to find a different way back to the hotel, but that just ended up with me backtracking and heading back the way I came originally - nothing like the scenic tour!

I made it back to the hotel, stopped and grabbed some water to drink and snacks at the Cafe to Go at the hotel and was back in my room around 3:30pm.  I decided to stay in the rest of the day as I was worn out and unfortunately, work was bugging me to get some things done so I did.  I watched TV and relaxed and decided to head to bed early to get some sleep before the 5K in the morning.
Photobucket
2011 Disneyland Half Marathon Bondi Band
Photobucket
Front of 2011 Coast to Coast T-Shirt
Photobucket
Back of 2011 Coast to Coast shirt
Photobucket
Logo on 2011 Disneyland Half Marathon Champion Tech Shirt (available at expo)
Photobucket
2011 Disneyland Half Marathon Key Chain
Photobucket
Pin available for purchase online during registration
Photobucket
Pin available for purchase at Expo
PhotobucketPhotobucket
2011 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon Vinylmation
Photobucket
Star Tours 5K Bib
PhotobucketPhotobucket
Star Tours 5K T-Shirt (front and back)
Photobucket
2011 Disneyland Half Marathon Bib
PhotobucketPhotobucket
2011 Disneyland Half Marathon Tech Shirt (front and back)
PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
Contents of 2 Goody Bags

2 comments:

Justin said...

It was great running into you at the expo. It's never quite a runDisney event for me unless I see you.

-J.Darling said...

Thanks for the run down! I have a better idea what to expect to do the Princess 1/2 next year! And the weight loss is a huge plus! Way to go! can't wait to see your time difference!

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels