2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Signs That You're Overtrained

In light of how I've been feeling the last couple of weeks, I started wondering if I'm suffering from over training.  I found this article from Runner's World by Jenny Hadfield that lists the signs of overtraining.  You can read the whole article here.

Some signs to be aware of:
  • Consistent tiredness - the longing to take a nap at any time of day.
  • Normal training pace feels difficult and legs feel weighted
  • Resting heart rate is higher than normal for several days in a row
  • Persistent aches, pains or injuries
  • Getting sick more often than usual
I have to say that I have had some tiredness, but no more than usual.  My normal training pace has felt brutal lately though and that has been a concern.  Thankfully, I haven't had any other signs of overtraining.  I am hopeful that I have caught this early enough to bounce back.

Some steps to take if you do feel overtrained:
  • Have a structured training plan with easy, hard and rest days built in
  • Run hard workouts by effort instead of pace
  • Easy days need to be easy
  • Avoid increasing mileage to quickly
  • Build in rest weeks every three to five weeks
  • Get enough sleep
  • Track your fuel and make sure your fueling correctly
  • If you're doing all of the above, take a couple of easier weeks and get plenty of rest
I feel pretty comfortable with the steps above and I do try to follow those steps pretty closely.

How are you doing with training?  Are you under or over trained?  Have you found a training plan that works with your life or are you constantly struggling to fit it all in?

1 comments:

-J.Darling said...

I felt the OVER EXHAUSTED this weekend! It wasn't from training, but it was from hell week at the theater ending in driving 2 hrs to get my Father in law from the airport (at midnight), coupled with an early morning and a long day at the zoo - FOLLOWED up by Opening Night of the musical I'm in (which requires LOTS of stair running for entrances and exits. I took yesterday off and slept half the day. Today, I'm feeling FAR more rested and ready to get back into working out!

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels