2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)


Sunday, August 14, 2011

Arizona Road Racer's Summer Series 5K Race #5

Today was my August race - a 5K.  Another early race with a 6:30am start, which meant I had to leave the house about 5am this morning to give myself plenty of time to get to the race site.  I should note that it was already over 90 degrees when I left the house at 5am. 

This race was held at South Mountain.  Now, you have to understand the mountain is a relative term here in Arizona.  Growing up in Washington State - we had mountains...here in Arizona we have hills :).  None the less, this is the first time I've ventured to South Mountain Park for a race so I wasn't exactly sure what I was in for.

It took about 40 minutes to get from my house to the race site.  I was glad that I gave myself plenty of time because there was quite a line of cars going in to the park and the Park Rangers were stopping each car to check our race passes.  It wasn't too bad at the time I got there, but this would become a challenge for the race start later.

I decided to park almost as far away from the registration/start area as possible for a couple of reasons.  First, it would mean I'd have an easier time getting out of the race site.  Second, it provided a nice warm up/cool down walk.

As I got out of the car I knew I was going to be in trouble.  It was hot sure, but it was super windy.  This could prove problematic depending on which way the course was set up.  I took the walk over to the registration area and quickly and easily got my bib and timing chip.  I stopped to put my bib on and attach the timing chip and then headed out to walk around a bit more to warm up and keep moving.

Soon, it was nearing 6:30am and everyone started to gather around the start line.  Then they announced that we'd be starting a bit late because there was a line of cars waiting to get in to the park.  Sure enough, if you looked towards the park entrance there was a long line of cars waiting to come in.  This race had just over 800 participants, so it was a good crowd.

They only started a little late and did a wave start since the starting area was narrow and took a sharp right turn.  I lined up in the very back of the pack knowing that I wasn't going to be going all out today.  After a few minutes it was time for the walkers to start.  I thought I'd give running a go, but I only made it few yards before I knew that wasn't going to be happening today and I started walking instead.

This was a tough course on a good day for me, but today it was particularly rough.  We started off going in to the wind and it was a pretty strong wind.  On top of the wind, the first mile and a half was uphill.  For a lot of you out there, this wouldn't have been a very bad incline, but for me, it was noticeable.  I really didn't run at all the first half of the race and I just kept up as quick of a walk as I could.

Finally, the turn around point and the downhill portion of the race.  I kept walking except when the downhill warranted a nice light jog.  The jogging felt good on the downhill as it let me keep my stride short and controlled.

Thankfully, the second half of the race was a bit better than the first half.  Why?  I knew it was almost over.  I was very happy when I crossed the finish line and knew that I was done.  There was nothing great about my time today.  My official chip time was 43:10, 13:54 per mi...Of course, the Garmin showed 3.18mi which brings the pace to 13:34 per mi - not that it's all that much better.

I grabbed some Powerade Zero and took the walk back to the car and headed home.  At least I got me race for the month in, even if it wasn't the best race I've had this year.


Richard said...

It's tough to have a good race when your conditions are so bad, but I think your times are not as bad as you think they are once you factor in the tough conditions.

Matt said...

Sounds like a very tough race. But you're time isn't that bad. All things considered, you did a damn fine job, as always!

karen @ working it out... said...

Nice job - 90 degrees that early in the AM is no fun!

Rae! said...

Amazing!! Nice finish regardless.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive