2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, July 16, 2011

Arizona Road Racer's Summer Series 5K Race #4

Ah, you have to love it when the alarm rings at 4:30am on a Saturday telling you that you need to get up for a race!  I was quick to get up and get ready to go - had a quick breakfast, fed the dogs and headed out the door at 5:30am.

This race was only about 15 minutes from my house, so it was a quick and easy trip over to the race site and I had no problem parking.  On my way to pick up my bib and timing chip I stepped right in a landscaping mud puddle - now I have a nice muddy shoe.

After I put my bib on and attached my timing chip I headed out for a nice mile warm up run/walk.  I felt pretty good during the warm up.  My legs weren't feeling tight and nothing was hurting.  I was feeling like I could do a good job during this race and was hoping to come in around 36 minutes.

There were around 925 runners/walkers lined up today so they did a staggered start.  I took off with the 11:00 + minute milers, not because I felt I could do that pace but because I was just pushed along with the crowd and figured what the heck.

The weather was pretty good at 6:30am this morning.  It was almost 80 when we took off which wasn't too terrible and I have to say that I don't think the weather played any part in my performance today.  I did bring along my Nathan hand held water bottle which I was grateful for.

The first half mile or so went pretty well, I was feeling okay.  Then things just started not feeling so great.  I just felt like I couldn't run.  I have no idea why, but it just got tough.  I wasn't hurting, but my breathing was a bit off.  My intervals went out the window and I just ended up walking way more than I wanted.  I felt defeated and disgusted - I can knock out a 5K without thinking about it and yet today I felt as if it was the first race I'd ever run.  I can't figure out if I'm putting to much pressure on myself before the race, taking off to fast, or just mentally talking myself out of being able to do what I want.  I'm a bit annoyed with this, but I'll keep working on it.

I kept going as best as I could.  Running when I could and walking when I couldn't run any more.  I am wondering if my performance today is really because I haven't focused on speed during short runs and I've been very focused on endurance during long runs.  I also think that having to be on the treadmill so much because of timing and the heat has really hurt me in terms of handling heat and outdoor terrain.

Finally, I made it past mile 2, then 2.5 and the finish line was not far away now.  I crossed the line and didn't even look at my time.  I knew it was slower than I wanted.  A volunteer removed my timing chip and I continued on to take a nice cool down walk and headed back to the car.  I had about 45 minutes to get home, take a shower and head out to meet a friend to see Harry Potter, so no time to dwell on what I'd done or not done.

After the movie I checked my time and I  found that while it wasn't what I had hoped for, it wasn't as bad as I feared.  My official chip time was 38:25 or 12:22 per mi.  Not great, but I'll take it considering how I felt throughout the race.

As with the last race I participated in from this organizer, the race was well run.  There were plenty of volunteers, two water stops this time (out and back course), they had fruit and bagels and such at the end, and the race was well attended.  I look forward to the next race with this organizer.

I am looking forward to the virtual 5K tomorrow and hopefully I can do comparable or better, we shall see.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels