2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Arizona Road Racer's Summer Series 5K Race #2

The alarm rang super early at 4am this morning.  I have to say that I was really not ready to get up this early, but I did it anyway.  I got myself ready to go race, fed the dogs and headed out the door at 4:40am...I left extra early this morning as I was headed to a new location about 35 miles away and needed to account for my high potential to get lost.

The site was super easy to find.  I sports complex with 9 or more soccer fields and lots of trails.  I parked easily, went to get my bib and timing chip.  Yes, a chip timed 5K.  Since this is a race series, they track official times and award points based on finish time for those that have signed up for the whole series (which I did not this year).

The entry fee for this race was inexpensive - $10.  What a refreshing change!  Now, there aren't any frills - no t-shirt and no goody bag.  This actually made me super happy as I tend to refuse most goody bags now and seriously don't need more t-shirts.

I took a good amount of time to walk around, and do a few short running session to loosen up my legs.  While I wasn't sore at all from my 18 miler yesterday, my legs were feeling a bit stiff and certainly tired.  This helped to loosen them up and at close to a mile was just about perfect.  It also gave me a chance to see more of the complex.

I was quite concerned when I found out that the course was going to be in the desert - great.  Well, it turns out the entire course was dirt trail.  Now, you probably know that I don't love trail running.  I am so paranoid about twisting a knee or ankle that I tend to hold back, but I was going to give it my best any way.

We all lined up and the race started on time at 6:30am.  It was already 78 degrees out and sunny.  It was really quite beautiful and a great day to be out running.  At least that's what I thought until we started running.  Remember that dirt course?  Well, with dirt comes a whole lot of dust.  Clouds of it, through the entire 3.11 miles - YUCK!  Yes, I ate every one's dust today for real.

I decided to do 3 minute run, 1 minute walk intervals and I was able to keep these up through pretty much the entire race.  I only had one interval where I took a little extra walk time - about a minute extra.  The problem today really wasn't my legs.  It was my mind - I was playing mental games with myself the entire time.

For some reason, I can manage to do this on a training run or on a treadmill and have no trouble, but put me on a course and start thinking I can't do it.  I don't know what that's about since I never used to be that way, but it's something I'm working on.  It's almost like I am punishing myself for carrying the extra weight and that has to stop.

Regardless of my mental limitations today, I actually did really well and felt good through the race.  My breathing was a bit labored and I think a lot of that had to do with the darn dust.  The legs held up really well and I was very careful to make sure I watched where I planted my feet so not twisted limbs. 

In the end, I crossed the finish in 37 minutes 35 seconds...Which was a 12:06 per mi pace.  That is a PR for this year...It's not as fast as I know I can go, but it was a huge step in the right direction and this was after a great 18 miler yesterday where I really pushed as well.

This was the first time I've done any races with the Arizona Road Racers and I was very impressed.  The cost was inexpensive and the event was super well organized.  I was a little disappointed that I wasn't aware of the fact that it was a dirt course, but this was their first time at the venue as well so I'll cut them some slack on this.  I would have liked to see a second water stop as there was only one stop at right before mile 1 and I was so wishing I would have brought my own water by mile 2.  At the end of the race, they had plenty of volunteers to take of the timing chips which was great.  Then they had a ton of food and water - watermelon, bananas, bagels, and even more I think.  Sadly, since I'm a bit slow the line to get food was just way to long for me to wait in.  I grabbed a quick cup of water and that was it for me.

I'm very excited to see how the next two events I have signed up with this group will be.  One will be at a venue I know very well and one another new venue to me.

1 comments:

Rae! said...

SO what's going mentally?? Was it the dirt course?? Was it cause we weren't there cheering you on?? Next time I will text you. Is the next one a 5k? Do you plan on beating your time?? Which your time was awesome!!

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels