2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, May 1, 2011

2011 Peace Officer's Memorial 5K - A.K.A. Dead Legs Run

Today marked my May race - the 2011 Peace Officer's Memorial 5K.  This race benefits the families of law enforcement officers that have lost their lives in the line of duty.  Sadly, before the race we were informed that an office lost his life last night.  This is certainly a cause that I find easy to support as it's these folks that strive to keep us safe!

It was a beautiful day for a race.  The sun was shining, it was cool and breezy and it was a small crowd.  We all lined up at the start, had a moment of silence for the officers that were lost last year and then a quick course description.

At 7:30am we were off.  I decided that I'd be doing my 2 minute run, 1 minute walk intervals for this race - as long as I could manage.  We started out on the grass of the soccer field, but thankfully it was a shortened version of the grass run which thrilled me since I hate running on the grass.

Wow - my legs are really feeling dead this morning.  I am having some cramping - which is unusual for me, but I think it may be some dehydration.  Thankfully, the cramping eased up pretty quickly.

The intervals were tough to hang on to today.  Two minutes felt like two hours at times, but I just kept trudging along as best as I could.  As usual I was back in the pack pretty much from the start, but that's okay.  I learned  a long time ago to run a race for me and no one else.

One mile past and I was already starting to feel the pain and wanting to walk longer than the one minute intervals.  I gave in to these feelings a few times, but tried to keep the walking portions as fast as I could.  The next mile kept going with the same feelings and walking a few extra sections where I just couldn't get my legs to cooperate.

The last mile brought out a little bit of competitiveness in my.  Yeah, I can't help myself.  I was with three women for most of the race and we kept passing each other back and forth, but when it came to the last quarter mile or so I just had to push a little harder to stay ahead of them.  Not that it really mattered in the end, but I still felt good to push a bit more.

I suppose you wonder why I was feeling dehydrated and dead legged.  Well - it probably has a lot to do with the 19+ miles I put in yesterday.  I pushed a pretty hard half marathon yesterday and followed up later in the day with a good long walk.  Funny how I can do a 5K before a half marathon, but flip it and darn if it didn't kick my rump.

My Garmin time for the race was 40mins 13secs or 12:36 per mi.  Not as fast as I would have liked, but I'm still pleased considering I did this after a lot of miles yesterday!

3 comments:

Richard said...

I know that dead-legged feeling these days, too! Good work on your 5K--and as a former law enforcement official, please let me say thank you for your support.

LauraElaine said...

Nice job! Way to log those weekend miles!!

MikeF. said...

Man I know all too well the dead leg feeling. Amanda you are doing great! Keep it up!

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels