2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Jeff Galloway Training Plans At runDisney

So, you've signed up for a runDisney race (or any race)....WHAT NOW?

I received a comment on one of my posts requesting some information regarding the training plan I have been using from Jeff Galloway from the runDisney website. So, I thought I'd provide links to the training plans available on the runDisney site for the January Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend Events. There are a lot of training plans available for pretty much any level so you'll want to look through them and see which one meets your current goals and needs.

Walt Disney World Half Marathon
18 week training plan for beginning runners (those that have been running consistently less than six months)

18 week training plan for experienced runners with a goal of time improvement (those that have been running six months or longer)

12 week training plan for experienced runners that want to finish in the upright position (those that have been running for six months or longer)

Walt Disney World Full Marathon
26 week training plan for beginning runners (those that have been running consistently less than six months)

18 week training plan for experienced runners with a goal to finish if you have finished the Disneyland Half Marathon (those that have been running for six months or longer)

18 week training plan for experienced runners with a goal of time improvement if you have finished the Disneyland Half Marathon (those that have been running for six months or longer)

18 week training plan for experienced runners with a goal to finish if you have finished the Wine & Dine Half Marathon (those that have been running for six months or longer)

18 week training plan for experienced runners with a goal of time improvement if you have finished the Wine & Dine Half Marathon (those that have been running for six months or longer)

18 week training plan for experienced runners with a goal of time improvement (those that have been running for six months or longer)

26 week training plan for experienced runners with a goal of time improvement (those that have been running for six months or longer)

18 week training plan for experienced runners that want to finish in the upright position (those that have been running for six months or longer)

26 week training plan for experienced runners that want to finish in the upright position (those that have been running for six months or longer)

Goofy's Race and a Half Challenge
Training plan for experienced runners that want to finish in the upright position (those that have been running for six months or longer)

I started using these training plans last year after the Disneyland Half Marathon. I was struggling getting my run on and thought it might be good to try run/walk. The Dopey continued to intimidate me so I decided to focus on just walking, but I followed the mileage plan loosely and the philosophy that you can train for a full marathon running or walking three days a week.

Using this plan, I made it through the Dopey. Now I am really enjoying the run/walk method and have found that I can complete a half marathon distance feeling good - no aches/pains the next day. In fact, I was able to do back to back half marathon distances using run/walk the whole time and it felt awesome.
If you're unfamiliar with Jeff Galloway, I would suggest you check out his website (
here). I have a couple of his books and he has some great mental tricks, pre-race fueling, post race recovery. He also has a newsletter you can subscribe too from his website. I also received an email today that he has a new smart phone app (I know it's for iPhone, not sure what other platforms) that includes music, verbal cues, etc...I think I might have to check it out and you might want to as well :)!

The most important thing to remember is that any plan can be modified to fit your life. Use it as it should be used - as a tool. Tools are there to help you reach your goals so make sure it doesn't intimidate you, force you to do more than you are ready for, or make you hate the workout.

Is Galloway the only plan I've used over the last four years? NO! In fact, I still really like the Runner's World Smart Coach free program. The Runner's World plans include easy runs, tempo runs, speed work and long runs - I still tend to use these philosophies even with the Galloway plan just not so rigidly.

4 comments:

Matt said...

Thanks for posting these!

Karen said...

I have used Galloway for my last two marathons. I used his plan for the Goofy as well. There is definitely something to the walk breaks. After both marathons, I felt good to go within hours after the race. No soreness, nothing. It truly is amazing. If it is a fast time you after, you have to get over that in your head but if you just want to finish and feel better than you can imagine afterwards, Galloway is the way to go.

Lisa said...

Someone on the DisBoards posted a link to your blog. Thanks for posting all these RunDisney training plans. I'm trying to find the right plan to start my marathon training. I'll also have to go take a look at the Runner's World program you mentioned. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi to all, it's truly a fastidious for me to pay a visit this web site, it consists of precious Information.

Here is my blog post :: Planning a multi-generational family vacation in Disney

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels