2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, March 5, 2011

2011 Run for Ryan's House Race Review

My only expectation for this race was to try to finish in 3 hours and still be able to walk at the end of the race.

The day started at 4am when the alarm clock rang. It took me a few minutes to get up and get moving this morning. I have to admit that I'm extremely nervous for this race - I know I'm going to be in for a hilly challenging course today and I'm just not sure what that's going to mean for me. Memories of the pain from last year are haunting me and I can only hope that I'm better prepared this year.

I got myself ready, fed the dogs and got ready to head out at about 4:50am. I had to make a quick stop to fill up gas in the car and I was on my way. It's about 23 miles to the race start and the drive is quick and easy. I find a nice parking spot that's very near the race start/finish line and I decide to relax in the car until it's time to take a bio break prior to the race start. As I'm relaxing in the car I notice that it's very windy out this morning.

I headed out to find the portajohns at 6:15am. It's a little chilly and windy out this morning. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad at this point. After my bio break, I decide to walk - nothing fast, just a nice tour around the area to get the muscles moving and stay warm while waiting for the start of the race.

It starts getting light shortly before the race begins and we all begin lining up for the start of the half marathon. There are several races taking place today, most notably a 5K, 10K and the Half Marathon - there are just over 2000 people participating in races today. Sure seems small after Walt Disney World. I know this means I'll be at the back of the pack again this year because of the small size of the race group.

The race benefits Ryan House - a hospice for critically ill children needing end of life care. It's such an important cause and I'm glad to help support it, and I can't help but get a little misty eyed as the race organizers describe Ryan's House and it's purpose.

7:00am and the race begins. I'm going to try doing the 1 minute run, 1 minute walk intervals today and see how far it takes me. I'm excited to see what this method will do for me on this course, but I'm not expecting to be able to hold this through the whole race because I know there are some huge hills and it's going to be a challenge.

I start out on the course and almost immediately, my Garmin loses satellite reception. I hear someone else say the same thing about their Garmin. Is it the end of the world? Ha, no we're just in a Scottsdale black hole :)! I thought it would pickup reception again, but it didn't and I went about .6mi before I finally got my reception back and things were back to normal. I saw a one mile marker and thought it was for the half, but it was only for the 10K so my Garmin was out of sync for the whole race, not that it really mattered on that part. During all the fun of getting the Garmin up and running I was maintaining my run/walk intervals and felt a little tight, but not too bad overall and I knew I'd settle in to a routine soon enough.

The back of the pack - that's where I already was. There were only a few people behind me and the people in front of me were continuing to pull ahead. I didn't let that bother me - but I was hoping that they would have better signage on the course so I wouldn't get lost (that was a very close call last year). I past the one, two and finally three mile markers and was still feeling pretty good.

We started heading up a pretty good hill and I had to add a few extra walk breaks in. If it would have just been a hill it wouldn't have been so bad, but we were also heading into the wind and at times it was actually hard to move forward through it. Miles four and five were pretty uneventful and I continued my run/walk routine.

I hit the 10K mark and I was feeling remarkably good. I should have realized that this feeling would not last. As I neared the 7 mile mark I realized that I was not feeling as good, I had to start walking more and I just felt spent. I took a gel at about 7.5 miles, hoping that I would feel better. I continued doing more and more walking only running once in a while. Miles 8 and 9 were not too terrible, but I did a lot of walking.

Finally I was at mile 10 and I know I only had a 5K left to go. Sadly, this last 5K was very difficult as the majority of it was uphill. Yes, it's a cruel thing to have hills in the last 5K of the race. I struggled more and more and by the time I hit mile 11 I wasn't sure I was going to be able to keep going. I knew I couldn't quit now though and I just kept going. Pretty much only walking at this point.

I hit mile 12 and I was able to get some more running in. It wasn't so much that I was hurting - I was, but not terribly - it was more that I just ran out of energy. I kept going along and finally hit the last .25mi. I was able to pretty much run that last little stretch. I hit the finish line and the clock showed 2:58. I finished the half marathon with a 13:37 per mi pace - better than I've done in a while, but not as good as I want to do.

I was handed a medal and like last year pretty much everything was being packed up and there wasn't really any food or drinks to be found. Good thing I planned for that. I knew I couldn't just stop walking this year so I walked around a few times. While I was walking around I got to hear that the overall half marathon winner finished in 1hr 16mins - WOW!

Back to the car and headed back home.

Thoughts on this race and my performance:
-The weather was absolutely gorgeous today. Not too hot or too cold - the wind was a bit strong going up the hills, but it kept the heat down so I guess it wasn't such a bad thing.
-The course was different this year, but no less challenging.
-I came in the very last in my age group - good thing I'm not used to coming in closer to the front of the pack :)
-Thank goodness for all the volunteers. I'm pretty sure I thanked them all. One girl told me that it was tough managing traffic and someone flipped her off - to that rude individual, may all your tires go flat and leave you stranded!
-I didn't fuel right for this race. I should have brought my Accelerade instead of just water and I probably should have upped the number of gels to account for the extra effort of the hills.
-I met my goal of finishing in 3hrs.
-My time this year was the same as last year, but this time I am able to walk and feel pretty good overall.
-I still have a long way to go to get to where I want, but the miles I've been putting in have helped tremendously.
-I need to get outside more often and off the treadmill.
-I need to re-learn how to slow the run portions of my intervals again. I was below 12 minute miles on the run portions and that probably contributed to my tiredness so early.
-My walk portions remained under 14 minute per mile pace which helped keep my pace lower overall.

Some Pictures from the course:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

Karen said...

Great job! that kind of stinks that they pack everything up before everyone finishes but I guess if you are prepared for it, that helps.

LauraElaine said...

Nice job Amanda!

Justin said...

Congrats on the sub-3 hr finish. The course pics are pretty cool. I need to start thinking about an Arizona race one of these days.

Keep pushing your speed during your training runs.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels