2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

2011 Lost Dutchman 8K Trail Run Recap

It rained all day Saturday here in Arizona - it was quite a dreary day and I knew that the 8K Trail Race on Sunday was going to be a muddy mess.

The alarm went off at 5am this morning and I really didn't want to get up and get moving, but I did. I got moving and got ready to head out and pick up my friend for the journey out to Apache Junction. It wasn't raining, but it was dark, still wet, a bit chilly and very cloudy out.

The drive out the race parking, which is at the Rodeo Grounds, was quick and uneventful. Nothing too exciting to note about the drive. We parked and it was quite crowded already. They have buses to transport you to the race site, but we always walk...Did I mention this is the fourth year we've done this race? It's about .93 miles to the race start area and it's on a nice muddy desert dirt road.

It was quickly apparent that the trail was going to be a big mess and I was glad that I mud proofed the car and brought a change of shoes for after the race. It was still quite dark as we made our way to the start area. Once we got there we had about an hour before our race would start. We shopped around at the few booths that were set up and sort of hung around.

We heard the half marathoners take off on their race. There was a pretty large crowd for the half - almost wish I would have been doing that, but I have one in a couple of weeks so that's okay. Then we hear over the loudspeaker that the 8K Trail Race has been washed out - this is not surprising and we're actually a bit relieved because that trail would have been quite horrible with all the rain. This meant that the 8K Trail Race and the 10K Race would start at the same time - 8am instead of 7:45am...Well, I guess I'll get to see what the 10K race course is like :).

There was only one thing that was a bit disturbing about doing the 10K course - it was on the road. I was not wearing good shoes for the road, I was wearing old shoes that I didn't care about ruining with the mud. This could be a very bad thing and cause me some pain in the long run. We'll see how it goes.

We lined up with the 10K racers and before we knew it, we were off and running...er.....walking :)! I felt good, no lingering pain from the 13.1 miles yesterday and I was just out here to enjoy the course and people watching. The 8K trail is very flat, the 10K course is not...While it's not monster hills and some of you might say these weren't even blips, there were some decent inclines on this course. The great part, I didn't really mind them today. Of course, I was walking and that may have had something to do with it, but I think it has more to do with the incline workouts I've added in on the treadmill and the mindset that it's just more pavement to cover.

The race organizers did a really good job reorganizing the 8K to the road and making sure volunteers were out to direct racers where to turn around, etc...I was pretty happy that overall I was feeling good and that it hadn't starting pouring down rain on us.

Of course, on the way back we did get one good section of rain, but it didn't last too long. I will say that it was a bit chilly though. A lot of half marathoners started passing us around mile 3.5 or so...Those folks were about 1hr 45mins in to the race - awesome. The 10K, Half Marathon and Full Marathon courses all share the last miles on the same roads - since I'm usually on the trail I never really paid attention, but we past the 25 mile marker for the full and the 12 mile marker for the half - cool.

It was slow walk for me, but we finished in 1:24 at a 17:05 per mile pace. Certainly not too taxing for me. When the race was over we started to get chilled pretty quickly and decided to head to the car to head towards home and get warmed up. It was another muddy walk back to the car, but it was a nice cool down for sure.

Would I recommend these races - absolutely...This was the 10 year anniversary and it was another well organized, nicely run, chipped time race!

I tried to check my time after the race and I don't have a time anywhere to be seen...Well, that sucks. At least my friend's chip time was listed so I was able to use that for my official time since we crossed the finish at the same time. They used the B Tag for this race - this is the chip that is attached to the back of the bib and you leave it attached to the back of the bib. I've only used this tracking at one other race and didn't have problems, but I guess my chip was defective this time...Glad I wasn't planning on using it as a corral placement time.

Here are a couple of photos I took on and around the course, the clouds were just too cool not to snap a few pictures of:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

MikeF. said...

Man just seeing that course with nothing but road and desert! That is just crazy!

Richard said...

Nice photos! Sounds like you had a good time in spite of a messy situation.

Bethany + Ryan said...

wow, AMAZING photos!!! btw- i joined ROTE a few days ago...i assume you are a ROTE member too??

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels