2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Thinking About Tackling the Goofy or Dopey at Walt Disney World?

Now that I've been confirmed Dopey what can I tell others that want to take on this challenge? I'm going to list the top 10 things that I will do or start doing to get ready for the 2012 Dopey!

1. Don't put off your training
It's imperative that you start training as soon as you make the decision to take on the challenge. This is not an easy task. Even if you've run other full marathons, you have to think back to those marathons and think about whether you've run a half marathon the day before. While it's certainly possible to be ready for a race in three to four months - you have to adjust to be ready for two or three races back to back and the more time you take to prepare the better prepared you're going to be.

2. I don't think you need to run an organized full marathon before this challenge
That's right - I did this without ever having run a full marathon race. Now, let me be clear - you don't have to run a full marathon race, but you should be able to get in one or more full marathon distance training runs. I am very glad I did the WDW Full Marathon as my first full marathon race - I really wanted that honor of having it as my first. On the other hand, doing an organized full marathon race is a great way to have an organized full marathon training run - think about it - support, hydration and a medal at the end. There's nothing wrong with that approach.

3. Do a dress rehearsal or two
Absolutely a must do in my opinion. Do the distances you're planning on doing in the two or three days of races. I ended up doing a 5K Wednesday, Half Marathon Thursday and Full Marathon Friday about four weeks out from the races. Now, I had to do this on the treadmill - if you can do it on a treadmill you can definitely do it on the courses :). I would suggest wearing the clothes that you are planning on wearing, using the hydration you're planning on using, and wearing the shoes you plan on using.

4. Having two pairs of running shoes is helpful
I used one pair of shoes for the 5K and half and a second pair of shoes for the full. I also think that this would have been great if there would have been rain and one pair ended up getting soaked. It's possible that a shoe lace could break or that something else could happen to one pair of shoes and you don't want to have to run in a brand new pair of shoes you picked up at the Expo.

5. The power of the ice bath
While I don't find an ice bath necessary after a 5K or even after a half marathon (if the next day will be a recovery day), an ice bath will help you a lot between the half and full and after the full. You want to make sure that you give your body every helping thing you can and an ice bath helps to relieve swelling and promote recovery. It's not the funnest thing in the world to do, but try it you may find it a very helpful tool in your arsenal.

6. Vitamin C is better for more than colds
Vitamin C helps repair those little tears that occur in your muscles after a hard workout. I have actually found this to be pretty useful - I use 500mg of chewable Vitamin C each day. I will double up on this if the workout was really intense or if I'm worried about getting sick.

7. Compression socks are like hugs for your legs
Another great trick to help the blood flow and recovery of your legs. Throw some compression socks on after your long runs and ice baths. While they can be a little tough to pull on (make sure your legs are nice and dry before you try) once they squeeze the muscles in your legs you'll be saying "AHHHH!"

8. If you have a time goal and don't train for that pace, don't expect to get it
I was able to maintain a much faster pace than I trained for during the races, but I didn't hit the goals that I really wanted. I realize that not training faster made it harder for me to pick up the pace as much as I wanted. I used the Galloway theory that your long training runs should be two minutes per mile slower than the fastest you think you could race that day...This was a definite switch from things I've done in the past, although it held pretty true I know that training to go faster made it so I couldn't go faster.

9. Got extra weight, lose it
This is one that I did not do for this challenge. I let myself gain weight most of the year and then tried to get it off the last couple of months. Not a smart plan. I carried a lot of extra weight during these races and it did not help me at all. That's something I'll be trying to correct this year - the less weight you have to carry around for 42.4 or 39.3 miles the better!


10. Believe you can do it
While you have to train and put in the miles, you have to have a lot of mental strength as well. I really think that 80% of the battle for me was mental. Starting out on the full marathon was really rough - third day getting up early, third day of putting in miles, third day of pushing further than you thought possible. The first few miles I just kept thinking that I wasn't going to make it, but a lot of positive self talk helped pulled me out of that funk and got me back in the I can do this place I needed to be in. Pick a motto and use it, think strong and be strong :)!

1 comments:

Justin said...

Solid advice, every bit of it. Great post.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels