2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Day 5K

Happy New Year!

Today marked the fourth consecutive year that I've participated in the New Year's Day 5K. This was the sixth annual New Year's Day 5K and it's amazing how much it has grown over the years.

I have to tell you that I could have easily skipped this today. I woke up tired and wasn't sure how much I really wanted to do this today, but that is not the attitude I'm taking this year and I knew once I got moving I would be glad I did it.

So, I got myself ready to go and headed out at about 7:15am. It's not like it was an early race. I had to stop and fill the car with gas and then it was a quick and easy drive to the race site.

Okay, for those of you that think it never gets cold here in Arizona, well for some of you I suppose that's true. When I stepped out of the car to go get my bib and shirt - wow, that'll wake you up. There was ice on the mud puddles and it was a balmy 30 degrees this morning.

After collecting my stuff I headed back to the car to wake in the relative warmth of the car until closer to race start time. I did actually manage to dress more appropriately for the cold today with double shirts and gloves, but it was still cold with a brisk wind blowing.

I really didn't know what my plans for this race where going to be. Would I walk the whole thing, throw in some short jogs, run all out? I didn't think about it today. I headed to the start line about 10 minutes before the start and found a sunny spot to stand in. While waiting to start I took a couple of pictures for a family behind me - I love doing that.

Then it was time to start. I started out walking to the start line and then I just decided that I would try to jog for a while. It felt pretty good and I kept jogging for the first half mile. Then I did a fast walk for a while. Then on the second mile I did some more jogging and fast walking. Finally in the third mile I did some more fast walking and then ran the last half mile or so to the finish line.

Mind you, these running segments weren't super fast...In fact, I kept the speed down as much as possible because I have some important races coming up next week :). My Garmin showed 3.25 miles in 42:57 and the official race time showed 43:22....Again, not my fastest race ever, but it sure felt good to get some jogging in there and according to the Garmin I kept a 13:11 per mile pace and that's something I haven't done in a while.

After the race I grabbed a quarter banana, a cup of water, and some Dole Mango/Yogurt/Granola bites and headed to the car. Even though I was a bit warmed up from the run, I was still pretty cold and I didn't want to get a chill.

Overall I had a good time with almost 300 other folks out there starting the New Year with a nice little 5K!

1 comments:

Richard said...

Well done!

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels