2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Soooo.....

Maybe I'm just a walker now. I just got back from my 12 miles today of which I might have run about a mile. Not only am I walker, I'm a slow walker - 15:42 per mile pace. At this rate I'm going to be good friends with the sweepers during the Disneyland Half Marathon :).

Okay so it was 97 degrees when I went out this morning at 6am. The humidity was 29% - I know those of you anywhere but here think that's nothing, but trust me when you're used to less than 5% - this is humid. In fact, for the first 3.5 miles it rained lightly on me.

Incredibly the weather was the only thing that kept me from quitting sooner today. There was a really nice cloud cover hiding the sun from almost my whole trek. Good thing because every mile until mile 6 I kept saying I'm just going to turn around and go home, I don't need to do 12 miles today.

I did it though. I'm sore, tired and very proud that I managed to get the miles in.

I took a 20oz bottle with Accelerade Fruit Punch. If you haven't used this you might want to give it a try - it contains a 4:1 carbohydrate to protein ratio. 1 scoop contains 120 calories, 20 carbs and 5 protein. It's one of the only things that I've found that doesn't make my stomach sour on a run.

In addition to the Accelerade, I also to 40oz of water in the CamelBak waist pouch (which I've finally gotten used to). I completed all 60oz that I had with me. I was down 3.4 pounds when I got back...Not sure how I can physically carry more hydration with me. Regardless, I don't feel dehydrated and I've finished another 32oz of Powerade Zero while typing this. Crazy amounts of fluid right?

Well, that's it for now. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

7 comments:

Rae! said...

YAY!!!!! No mattrer what you did it!!! And all good choices of fliud to have on you.

I Ya know as long as you can maintain that pace you will not see a sweeper. =)

We are going to record the Skype meet and if you are going to be late that's ok too. We are going to try to make it so those who can not be there can still hear the audio. We did a practice run and it worked.YAY!!

SO what days and times are good for you so I can schedule little more flexable.

Matt said...

Awesome job Amanda! 12 miles is great (considering that my long wog today was 4 miles...) and you're going to be totally fine during the DL. You still have several weeks to work on speed and you'll have the adrenaline going.

That reminds me, were you at DL last year? Why didn't I see you? Hmmm...

If you're late on Tuesday, so what. Come on by anyway. I'm sure we'll still be there. Heck, I'll even wait for you!

Amanda said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I feel good that I did the distance, but I'm feeling it now.

I'm hoping I can make it on Tuesday....Since it'll be the first day of training I'm hoping for an early ending :)!

Matt - I wasn't at DL last year. I was there in 2008. I'm looking forward to coming full circle and hopefully getting that coast to coast medal :)!

Richard said...

You seem a little unfairly hard on yourself to me. You've had your training issues recently, but this workout proves that you'll finish the DL half ahead of the cutoff points under weather that was MUCH tougher than what you can expect to see in Anaheim in September.
From where I sit, this was an awesome workout!

Kathryn said...

Coming out of lurkdom (hope that's okay!!)...

I agree with Richard.

I did 12 miles this morning as well. I train with a group, in the 12 min mile pace. Well, we did our 12 miles this morning, as a normal training run, at about a 15 min pace.

It was 80 and 85% humidity.

They say you will do about 2min per mile faster in a race situation, esp if the weather conditions are more favorable.

When I trained for the Princess half (my first half), all my long runs were mostly walks, not too much faster if at all than yours today, and in "ideal" (40-60 degrees) conditions, and I finished in 3:11, mostly walking.

Just continue to train, esp the 2 midweek runs, and you will be fine. :)

MikeF. said...

Hey you did and that is all the matters. Who cares what your finish time was. YOU DID IT! Keep Moving Forward.

Justin said...

This kind of pace for a long weekend run is just fine. Lots of training programs have Long Slow Distance (LSD) runs in the schedule. I read an article in Runners World about the pace elite marathoners keep during their weekend LSD runs. They often run half the speed they go during the actual race. You are doing the same.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels