2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Proform Power 995 Treadmill

I took my dogs out for a walk this morning. Nothing to strenuous - I just wanted to test my back and make sure it could handle the pounding again. We did a couple of very short jog segments and at the end I felt really good.

I thought that was where I was going to stop for the day, but I started playing with my iFit Live module for the treadmill. I plugged it in the Treadmill and it went through its updates and looked great.

I created a new course using the Google Maps feature. I decided to put a five mile route together from my last half marathon since it had incline. Once it was created I went to the treadmill to see if it showed up.

Oh wow - there's my course all laid out for me. You touch start and there it goes. In these courses you control the speed so I like that. The course controls the incline. Awesome!

I did almost a mile and then it lost the network connection. Well, that's a problem...I'm going to have to do some troubleshooting...It may be time to finally upgrade the wireless router as I may need a little more range since the treadmill is in another room. We'll see though.

Since that loss of connection stopped the workout I decided to try one of the pre-programmed workouts. I choose a repeats program, just a one mile course. This was pretty cool. It controlled the speed and incline and took me through 1 mile with inclines from 0 to 4 and speed from 3 to 4.7. This was kind of fun and I look forward to trying other programs.

In addition to being able to create your own courses using Google maps they are in the process of setting up their favorite courses in distances of 3K, 5K, Half Marathon and Marathon. I am super excited about this and can't wait to see which courses they include. It'll be really cool if they include the Disney races and I can try the WDW Marathon on the treadmill this summer. Either way though, I love the idea of creating courses and then running them on the treadmill - something I never thought I'd say.

Another cool thing that you can do is schedule your workouts and when you start iFit Live it will automatically load the next workout in your schedule. This includes your maps and Jillian Michaels workouts. I haven't tried one of those yet, but I will be soon. They look awesome - I'll probably focus a lot on ones that have good inclines since I don't have any hills in the areas I normally run. They have levels from walking beginners to sprint advanced runners. Each level has 20 or more different workouts.

I haven't even mentioned the cool fan that is on the treadmill...It has two speeds - low and high. I thought it would be a bit of a joke, but I have to say that it's great. A little loud, but it certainly kept me cool, even in my long sleeve shirt.

The iFit Live is still in beta so it isn't costing me anything at this point. Once it goes live it will be $9.95 a month. After just one workout I am pretty sure I'll be paying the fee - I think it will add a lot of variety to my workouts.

After just one test run on the treadmill I can say that I'm totally impressed and I can't wait to get the workout room finished so that I can really use it in style :)!

4 comments:

-Chris in Georgia said...

Very nice indeed! Over the course of the past 12 months or so, I've been able to resurrect our treadmill back to life from many (and I mean MANY) complete deaths, but I have always been looking to the iFit line as a replacement option.

Everything you talked about covers why they look so enticing as a good motivational tool for those days and workouts that the treadmill makes the most sense.

Definitely keep us posted on how the web-enabled courses go with Google maps. I'm definitely interested in using that technology for our next t-mill, once this one finally bites the dust beyond my ability to resurrect it. (I don't run on it that much, but I've got well over 1,000 miles on it in the past 4 years, so we've gotten our moneys worth BIG TIME)

Amanda said...

I will definitely keep you posted. So far, I really like the treamill. I think it provides a challenge over the road because you have so many options and some of them make it so you don't know what's coming next :)!

Justin said...

The treadmill is my friend. I've built more endurance and speed over time on the treadmill than outdoors. Keep us posted how it goes.

Richard said...

Outstanding review. One of the reasons I haven't replaced my old (now dead) treadmill is the boredom factor. I think the iFit type of treadmill is the kind that breaks out of that mold. I look forward to more treadmill updates as you learn about it.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels