2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Walt...What A Week! (long)

Monday
If you read my previous post you know I was cursed with some new black shoes. That started out my week. It was a horrible run with new shoes that should have made me feel like I was running on air...No suck luck.

Tuesday
Back to work time for me. How did my day go? Well...I've had better. My boss had scheduled a meeting one on one to discuss our new organizational chart. Prior to this, we were having meetings to discuss where I wanted my career to go and what I wanted to do. I have said the same thing for almost seven years. I've been very clear about where I want to go - always. I'm not shy and I know how to speak my mind. So, the new org chart was displayed and I was put in to a position that I specifically said I wasn't interested in. How do I take that? Not very well...I've swallowed a bitter pill and tasted really bad right now. I have been trying to keep an open mind, but I feel like I've been thwarted again. Every time there's a possibility that I might get to start moving in the direction I've been trying to go I get slapped back in to the same role...I have a lot of serious thinking to do for sure.

I came home and wore the dreaded black shoes for a walk. It was okay. Not great, but at least I didn't feel the waffle pattern on the ball of my foot this time. I took both dogs with me so that was nice.

Wednesday
I've been hand feeding one of my dogs (Belle) for several days. She is not feeling good and I am very concerned about her. I think she may have a fever too. Then when I came home...I put on the dreaded black shoes and didn't even make it out the door before I changed in to my old shoes. I did head out and finished a 5mi run, but boy did I feel dead at the end.

Belle started hacking - a horrible cough. Needless to say that this continued all night. She was on the bed and shaking and I'd cover her up then she'd have to cough and she'd jump down, cough and then jump back on bed. It was a very long night.

Thursday
I worked from home so that I could take Belle to the vet...besides I wouldn't have been any good at work with an hour of sleep. I got Belle to the vet and she had a pretty big fever and looks like she has bronchitis or something like that. She was given a shot of fever reducer and sent home with 10 days of antibiotics and fever reducer pills. Poor little girl just doesn't feel very good at all.

I got another new pair of shoes out and put them on and I was feeling the same problems with the laces as the black pair of shoes. Well shoot, that's not good. I decided to completely unlace the shoes and try a new configuration. Put the shoes back on and thought they felt pretty good. I decided not to give up on the black shoes and reconfigured the laces. Put the shoes on and decided to hit the road for a 4mi run. The shoes worked - not too bad at all. Just needed a new lace configuration to make them feel better. I've also learned that I don't do well running in the evening after I've been sitting all day - my legs are swelling up just enough to make my legs tight and feel like lead. I can work them out after a couple of miles, but those first couple of miles are rough! The Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon ought to be interesting if I can make it down for that one.

Friday
The bitter pill was definitely in full force today. Man, I didn't want to stay in the office at all. Which is super silly because none of the bosses were in and it was nice and quiet. Needless to say, I am definitely thinking it's poisoning me staying there. I have never cared about the money - it's about being happy and I realized that I'm just not happy, even though I work with a great group of peers.

I went out for walk with Jasmine, my other lab, after work. Did a nice 5K. Figured that would be good as I was going to shoot for 11mi the next morning. Belle seems to be feeling a bit better today with no fever, but still hacking.

Saturday
Happy Birthday Walt Disney! How I wish I could have met you or been around to see how you came up with the wonderful ideas you had. I would take a tenth of your creativity! Thank you for the beautiful things you created.

The morning started out a little later than I intended, but I didn't dilly dally around. Took care of the kids and geared up for an 11mi run. Yes, in the black shoes :). I was hoping to run the full 11mi - no walking, and I would have liked a good time. As I took off for the run, I revised my goal and decided to go for the run the whole distance without regard for the speed. After all, this is the longest I've run since March - the Princess Half Marathon. My longest run during this training cycle has been 6mi - since I've skipped my 8mi and 10mi...So I went for broke and shot right to 11mi - stupid, but necessary.

It was a beautiful day for a run. Needed gloves to keep the fingers warm, took 20 ounces of water, a Hammer gel and a pack of Jelly Belly Sports Beans. Away I went down the road. My speed was slow, but I was going to try to keep it steady.

At mile 3 I ran in to another runner and we started talking. He asked how far I was going today - funny, this is something I always think about as I pass other runners, but would never ask. Don't want to mess with any one's groove. I answered that I was shooting for 11 today. This shocked him I think - let's face it, I don't look like a traditional runner ;). He is planning to run the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon in January. Mind you, this is a week after the WDW 1/2 Marathon. He said that the furthest he'd ever run was 8 miles and that was 20 years ago. In my head I'm thinking he's not going to have a fun time. He had a lot of questions, so I did my best to answer them. I gave him advice on fueling, hydration, training by increasing miles slowly, etc...He was a faster runner than me so we parted ways after a good discussion. I wish him luck, I think he might need it because it doesn't sound like he's done any real training. Of course, he could just be one of those lucky people that run easily and don't have to work as hard for it.

I continued on my way. I turned around at 5.55mi and headed back the way I came. At 6.5mi I got out my Hammer gel. This was the first time I've tried Hammer - I am a bit impressed and think I may have found my new brand of gel. I found it was easy to swallow and didn't take as much water to rinse down as some of the others I've tried. It was a little thicker than I expected, but that could have been because it was pretty chilly out. This one was raspberry. Anyway, I felt a pretty immediate energy boost from this gel and it really helped me keep going. I liked it, it felt good...Of course, I'm a skeptic and I think my mental ability to keep going has a lot to do with how far I can go too.

I continue to plod along. I'm slower than I want to be, but I've come to grips with that and decided that was okay for this run. Distance was key today. I started feeling like I was fading again just after 9mi and so I pulled out the Sports Beans. These are not my favorite fuel, but it's what I had on hand and they do help. The problem I have is the amount of chewing I have to do and the amount water it takes to get some of the sugar out of my mouth.

I continue trudging and I did it...11 full miles of jogging - no walk breaks. I did have to stop at cross walks, but I kept moving even at those. I feel really good about the distance and my body is doing pretty good too. I got home and stretched and hydrated and had breakfast and felt pretty good.

After a nice hot shower and lunch and more hydration I was tired, but not terrible. I headed out to do my grocery shopping. I figured it would be good to get out and do some more walking to keep myself from freezing up. It seems to have worked. I can still move and with little pain!

On this run I decided that I would have liked to have more water with me. Even as cool as it was today, I could have used more than 20 ounces. I purchased a new Camelbak waist pack that holds 45 ounces. I'm hoping that will help me with the 1/2 and work as I move on to training for a full marathon in 2011.

Poor Belle has a fever back and she's just not feeling great, but she's not coughing as much today. I hope she starts feeling better soon!

Questions for you runners out there:
What is your fueling strategy for a half marathon?
When do you use fuel?
How much fuel do you use?
How much fuel do you carry with you?
What are your favorite brands?
How much water do you go through during a half marathon?

While I'd still like to break the 2hr 30min mark on the next half marathon, I don't think that's reasonable for this one. I just haven't put in enough effort on increasing my speed during this training cycle. So, I've revised my goal and decided that I should focus on running the full 13.1mi instead of worrying about my speed. I've never been able to run a whole half marathon yet and I think that's a more reasonable goal for this one. There's always more races to work on getting under 2hr 30mins!

I hope every one's training is going well and you're all getting excited for your races in January - I know I am!

2 comments:

MikeF. said...

First off great job on getting in those 11 miles! Now on to answering your questions.

1. Well if I told you my strategy I would have to kill you AND Chris. HAHAHA! Just kidding. My strategy is to never miss a water/Sports drink station. Plus I take one gel pack with me.

2. I alternate between water/sports drinks. So water one stop the next sports drink etc.. This helps to not sour the stomach during a race. I take my gel about half way through my Half Marathons. But I always make sure I take it at a drink stop.

3. I carry just the gel. I want to be as light as possible for my races so I do not carry any extra water.

4. I like PowerBar gels. They seem to be the ones I can take with out any mishaps during my long runs. I perfer the Chocolate.

5. I use just what they give me in the cups. But I make sure I drink 1 to 2 bottles of water before the race. And I also will have a protien drink after my races with possible another bottle of water.

Richard said...

Amanda, you seem in desperate need of a hug right now, I'll have to settle for sending you prayers and positive thoughts.
In answer to your questions:
I start off with a handheld bottle or belt of Gatorade, and take a sip every 10 minutes, then refill with the provided sports drinks at the race. In addition, I take a gel at 1 hour and 2 hours into the race. I prefer Gatorade drink, but like all others I've tried except Heed, but I can tolerate it as well. As far as gels I prefer Gu or Cliff. My liquid needs are very dependent on the temperature at the time of the race, during a warm race I go through tons of drink, during today's cold and wet race I did not drink nearly as much.

Good luck in breaking 2:30, that is a goal for me as well. Today I set a new PR with 2:31:24, which was faster than I planned to run on a tough course, but I stayed comfortable most of the way. Towards the end I did push enough to make sure I'd PR, but I also didn't want to overdo things and harm my overall training just to break 2:30.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels