2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)


Monday, October 19, 2009

Sea World - September 8, 2009

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Today the alarms went off at 7 and 7:10, but since there were no real plans I went back to sleep until 8:30am. It felt really good to sleep. Finally, I got up and took a shower and just took my time getting ready to go this morning.

I left my room at 9:15am and after the now familiar drive to Sea World I was headed in to park at 9:30am. Yikes - $12 for parking. I still can't believe they charge that much for parking. I guess I could have been one of the people that paid $20 for preferred parking - after all I would have been two whole parking spots closer to the gate than I was!

Sea World

I headed up to gate and used my Discovery Cove ID to enter the park. The gate employee was none to friendly, but it was no big deal. I grabbed a park guide and headed straight to see Blue Horizons which was starting in about 10 minutes. The first seat that I took was not ideal and I quickly discovered that I would have a pole in all my pictures so I decided to move. The view was perfect, but the sun was brutal! I really enjoy this show. There are lots of animals to see and they do a good job showcasing their abilities while entertaining.

Sea World Blue Horizon 6Sea World Blue Horizon 5Sea World Blue Horizon 4Sea World Blue Horizon 3Sea World Blue Horizon 2Sea World Blue Horizon 1

After Blue Horizons I headed over to Penguin Encounter to visit the penguins. They are fun to watch today and what do you know - the exhibit doesn't smell like it sometimes does.

Sea World Penguin 2Sea World Penguin 1

I stopped to see the sharks. One of the tours was going on. I think it's going to be interesting being in the water with the sharks at Epcot.

Sea World Shark 2Sea World Shark 1

I headed over to Shamu Stadium for the Believe show. On the way in, I bought a frozen lemonade to help cool down. I sat in the upper part of the splash zone - I knew I was pretty safe where I was, but it was entertaining watch everyone around me put on ponchos and get all paranoid about the possibility of getting wet. Silly people! This show sort of disappoints me. There's too much emphasis on the trainers and not enough on the whales. It has a corny storyline (in my opinion) and they don't seem to spend as much time showing off the power and grace of the whales. I know it was a big thing when they got the whales working with the music and I can respect that, but I just wish there was more whale time. Maybe my views have been tainted a bit as a little birdie told me that the Shamu trainers tend to be pretty stuck up and have a high opinion of themselves. Granted they probably have very good reason as they do have to work pretty hard to get in that position!

Sea World Shamu 2Sea World Shamu 1

After Shamu, I was very hungry and I went on the search for food. I wasn't having very good luck finding anything appetizing. I decided to head in to wait for Clyde and Seamore. As I was waiting I checked my work email - thankfully there wasn't anything too big there.

Sea World Clyde&Seamore 4Sea World Clyde&Seamore 3Sea World Clyde&Seamore 2Sea World Clyde&Seamore 1

Clyde and Seamore were in rare form today. The show was awesome. Why was it so good? The animals had their own script today. They were having fun and doing whatever made them happy - that's when I like the show best. It shows that they really aren't made to do anything they don't want to do. Then they got a volunteer from the audience and he didn't speak any English so hilarity ensued for sure.

I was still thinking about food after the show, but I was just in time to go in and see Pets Ahoy. This is a show I had never bothered to see before and I thought it was high time I checked it out. It really was a fun show. There were tons of dogs and cats, birds (they had a Double Yellow Head Amazon - I have one too named Sam, but this bird was even older than my boy as its whole head was completely yellow - they get more yellow as they get older), rats and a pig. I loved all the wiener dogs - they were adorable. It's very cool that they use rescue animals for this show!

Sea World Pets Ahoy 2Sea World Pets Ahoy 1

That was pretty much all the shows that I wanted to see - A'Lure was the only other show on today and I have already seen that one. I headed over to Sea Fire Inn - as I was in line there were a couple of ladies that spoke very broken English - I would have guessed they were Italian, but then they asked me to explain Marinara, Alfredo and Dinner Rolls. We tried lots of different ways of explaining and pointing and finally I think they understood - they were very nice and I hope I helped :)! I ordered Fish and Chips, Chocolate Cake and Water. It was a good lunch and at about $17 wasn't too expensive.

I went over to Pacific Point Preserve - I had to see the seals and sea lions. Kenny was out on exhibit and he was bullying the others around. I took a bunch of pictures and headed off to the next destination.

Sea World Sea Lion 3Sea World Seal 1Sea World Sea Lion 2Sea World Sea Lion 1

I did a walk through of Manatee Rescue, Dolphin Cove and Stingray Lagoon. I couldn't believe the line of people waiting for the next feeding for the dolphins - it was the longest line I had seen yet!

Sea World Manatee

Manta was calling to me - I just had to try it. Of course, you can't take bags on with you so I went to find a locker and paid my fifty cents. The line said 20 minute wait, but it was a walk on. I would have liked to spend a little more time in the queue as the aquariums in there were gorgeous - very peaceful and quiet in the line. There was a couple on my left and a guy on my right. None of us had ridden the ride before - I love it when that happens. You sit down - it's a bit of an ordeal as the seats seemed a little high and I kind of had to climb up a little and then there's a divider at your knees you have to straddle. Once you sit down you pull the strap down and it locks your legs in at the ankles and your upper body too. Then, you tilt forward so you're staring at the ground. It's a different perspective and a bit disorienting at first. Then, away you go. I did really enjoy the ride, but it seemed very short. I'm very glad I did it - the perspective is quite nice and the loops are very fun. I recommend giving it a try - it's not that intense as the hills aren't that high or scary.

I got my bag out of the locker and took a stroll through Dolphin Nursery. Then I headed over to Wild Arctic. I did the simulator ride - this really needs an update in my opinion. It's very rough and not all that entertaining. I only do it because I like to see the Narwhal :)! I headed in to watch the Beluga Whales - I think it was Maple that was out today, so cute. The polar bear was asleep and I did see Dozer and Garfield the walrus.

I walked through Clydesdale Hamlet, but there were only two horses in the stalls and one for pictures (which I skipped this time). Next up was some shopping where I parted with some of my money.

At 5:05pm I headed out of the park. It was an uneventful drive back to Pop Century where I bought a lemonade and some water and headed back to my room. I was in my room by 5:40pm. Craziness hit me and I decided I wanted some exercise. I would have liked to go for a run, but I also wanted to take pictures so I decided to go for a walk instead. I grabbed my room key, camera and umbrella and headed out the door.

It had been hot and humid all day - really humid. I got a little bit of rain on my drive back to Pop Century and I thought we were due for some more rain. Just as I started my walk it started to sprinkle. Then I was taking some pictures when it decided to rain - I have my umbrella so I keep going. Then, the heavens let loose and within a couple of minutes my shorts, shoes and socks are completely soaked through. I went back to my room. I was already wet so I changed in to my Crocs, put my camera in a zip lock bag and headed back out. I just walked around taking pictures. take a look in the lake next time you're there - tons of fish and turtles!!!

Pop Rain The view from my room through the rain!
Pop BuildingPop PotatoPop PlaydohPop FishPop Turtle

I went 2.75 miles when I decided to drop the camera off at my room and head to Everything Pop! for dinner. A double bacon cheeseburger, cookie, tie dye cheesecake and water - way too much and way too good!

After I finished my dinner I packed up my suitcases to get ready to move over the the Animal Kingdom Lodge in the morning. It's about 10:30pm and I'm headed to bed so I can get up early and have a great day!

I walked over 10 miles today.

The weather today was hot and humid, humid, humid.
The best thing today was Clyde and Seamore because the animals were being animals.
The worst thing today was the heat and humidity.
The funniest thing today was going out for a walk and getting drenched in the rain.
Today I tried Manta and the result was a good rollercoaster (although short), the Pets Ahoy Show (fun and cute).
The most magical moment today was taking my time and doing what I wanted.


Richard said...

Sounds like lots of fun, I always like going to the penguin exhibit, too.

Gray said...

I have not been to Sea World, but I suspect I would feel as you do about too much emphasis on the trainers and not on the animals. You have some terrific photos here, Amanda.

Chris said...

Hear ya on the Shamu show... Kinda feel the same way but don't tell too many people for fear of being shamed! LOL

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive