2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Stress, Heat, Health, Father's Day

Wow, what a week. I really need to take a vacation - September cannot come fast enough. I've been super stressed at work, at home, just in general. Thank goodness for working out because if I didn't keep that up right now I'd be super ready to explode. I do feel better today (even though I need to get some work done).

Hot, hot, hot - that's the only way to describe summer in Arizona. It certainly makes it difficult to get outside and run. If I don't do it at 4am, it's really hard to get out there and do it at all. Yesterday I decided to take the dogs out for a walk...Just a walk - nothing too fast, nothing too vigorous. It was 8am and about 80 degrees out...Certainly not too hot for a walk. Or so I thought. About a mile in to our walk, Belle (my yellow lab) started snorting - it's nothing new as she has allergies, but I figured I'd stop and let her out of her gentle leader and just use her collar and I decided to do the same thing for Jasmine (my black lab). I'd been stopping them every few minutes and having them drink water and stand in the shade just to be safe, but as soon as we started walking after I took off their gentle leaders, Jasmine fell head first in to the grass by the side walk. I have no idea what happened, she was acting fine going along just fine and then wham she falls over. She has had heat exhaustion before and I was terrified that she was going in to this again. She stood right up and I took them down a little hill and there was a shady spot in the grass and the grass was wet. I made her lay down in the grass, I poured water over her and made her drink....I'm over a mile from the house still - she's 75 pounds and I have Belle. The path back home doesn't have enough shade and I'm sure there's not enough water to get them home. So, I had to call the Calvary - my niece to come and get us. She lives a good 40 minutes away, but that's okay because we have shade and water and Jasmine wasn't getting sick to her stomach or throwing up or getting delirious like she did last year when this happened. My poor baby...Thankfully by the time my niece came Jasmine was doing fine, tired by okay.

This has also been a rough week for me health wise...I just haven't felt good all week - stomach problems, migraines, dizziness, etc....I know it was mostly from the stress and I have to be careful not let that totally overtake me.

Finally, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the father's out there. I wish you all health, happiness, and the presents of your dreams!!!
Photobucket <-JasminePhotobucket <-Belle

2 comments:

MikeF. said...

Glad to hear the doggies are ok. I was a little worried reading your post. I hear ya about frustration. My work has been driving me crazy and I am starting to consider an interview at another company that we do business with.

Chris said...

I don't know how you live in that climate....I'm always wow'd by the beautiful terrain when I visit...but I tell ya...Tuscon in July....I thought the tires on the rental car were going to melt! LOL

Sorry to hear that you haven't been feeling well, I totally respect folks that still function with migranes...I don't think i could do it... Keep your head up, you'll come through stronger. :-)

Keep those doggies hydrated! :-)

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels