2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Pat's Run - 4.2 Miles of Fun!

Yesterday, I participated in the 5th Annual Pat's Run in Tempe, Arizona. For those of you that aren't familiar with The Pat Tillman Foundation you can check it out here: http://www.pattillmanfoundation.org/found_about.php

When I registered for this race I noticed that they had an Athena Division. The Athena Division is for women 175+ pounds. Since I fit the bill (unfortunately) I decided to go ahead and register for this division. My thinking was - since I gained the weight I might as well own up to it and join this division and hope that next year I wouldn't have to. After registration I really didn't think much about it.

The race day came and I was up at 5am and out the door by 6am. My friend (and co-worker) Janell agreed to drive so she picked me up and we were off. Parking was going to be a nightmare so we headed a little further out than the rest of the traffic and found parking with no trouble. Of course, that meant we had to walk about a mile or so to get to the start line, but I always welcome a nice warm up walk.

Interestingly, my knee has not bothered me for over three weeks and I was really hoping for a good time in this race as I've been training hard and feeling pretty good. I got out of the car and as we started walking, my knee did whatever it does to cause me terrible pain. This shook me a bit and I just tried to keep walking it out. By the time we got to the start corrals I was starting to feel okay, a little sore, but not bad enough that I'd have to walk the race (I hoped).

The corrals were a complete mess. There were 11 corrals and not enough room to hold all the participants. It was worse than I had expected, but that's the way it goes some times. We stood in between the 12 and 13 minute mile pace and waited with everyone else. The wheelchair race started at 6:55am and then they started releasing each corral at 7am.

By the time our corral started walking the first finishers were coming to the finish - yep, 20 minutes for 4.2 miles. Oh how I envy those runners. I can't even imagine how it feels to run a 5 minute mile. Heck, I'd be happy with a 8 minute mile!

For the amount of people on the road, it thinned out almost instantly. Janell doesn't run quite as fast as I do, and in all fairness it's because she's not a runner that trains regularly, so right after we hit the timing mats I told her I'd see her at the finish. That was the last I saw of her for the duration of the race.

I was going to pay attention to my pace and try to stay consistent and blah, blah, blah. Well, as soon as I started running I decided to not even look at my watch. I stuck with that decision for the entire race. I never once glanced at it. It felt really good to just listen to my body, my breathing, my footfalls and use that as my gauge. I know that during training I rely heavily on my Garmin and it helps me a lot, but for this race I decided to just go.

I had no idea how fast or slow I was going. I just ran. When I thought I was getting tired and wanted to slow down - I checked in with myself. Do my legs hurt? No. Is it too hard to breathe? No. Why do I want to slow down? No reason, but mental I guess. Good - keep going.

This course actually has a few hills in it. Hills have always been my enemy - until today. I kept telling myself - it's just another piece of road and kept going. I found that if I shorten my stride on up and down hill segments I can do it and the wear and tear is not as pronounced. So, I ran them - all of them!

In fact, I ran the whole 4.2 miles. Something that my mental weakness has stopped me from doing during races lately. I knew physically I could do it because I do it in my training runs all the time, but for some reason I always end up jinxing myself during races. That's no way to set personal records let me tell you. I realized this during the race and it made a big difference.

I was really hoping for a time under 40 minutes, but I knew that was going to be nearly impossible as I haven't gotten back to those paces yet. The thing I needed was a goal and that at least kept me moving.

In the end, I finished with a chip time of 42:51 (42:57 Garmin Time). That's a 10:16 per mile pace. There is nothing wrong with that at all. I felt so empowered and great after the race. It was a great course with some good challenges, lots of nice people and great weather!

After the finish line I was looking every where for the water....it was no where to be found. Finally, I heard the announcer say that it was up in the stands. The finish line is on the 42 yard line at ASU Sun Devil Stadium. So, that meant I had to trudge upstairs. Great! I headed up the stairs and found water, Power Ade, Power Ade Zero, Bananas, Oranges, and Apples.

Since I knew I finished before Janell I grabbed water, Power Ade and a banana for her too. That way she wouldn't have to trudge up the stairs. On the way down the stairs, my knee started in again. It held up very well during the race - it never hurt while I was running. How do you explain that to the doctor :)!

I headed back on the field to wait for Janell and she showed up shortly. We headed out of the stadium and headed to the after party/expo. I have to say, this is one of the best prepared races I've ever run. They had more than enough food, water, sports drinks, treats, etc....In fact, they kept telling everyone, take more, don't be shy. This was the first time I've been at a race where they weren't asking finishers to limit what they took to one thing. It was a refreshing change. As we left the stadium they had more water, sports drinks and food and even more throughout the entire expo area. It was fabulous.

We wandered around the expo and grabbed some sample products and enjoyed some samples and then headed out to trek back to the car.

It was such a fabulous race. I will definitely run that one again!

So, later last night I decided to check the results. I headed straight to the Athena Division results and my name is no where on this list. I'm confused - I know that's what I signed up for. I check the regular division and there I am.

Normally, this would not be a big deal to me, but this time I am a bit upset. The one thing I've wanted to do since I started running two years ago was to place in my division. I have never been able to do it.

Well, if they would have listed my results in the correct division - Athena - I would have placed second! Yeah, how incredible is that? I would have placed. Now that's something I'm very proud of, but if I can't print the results and have them say 2nd it isn't official.

I send an email off to the race director with a copy of my registration showing my division. I hope they are able to do something, but it may just be too late for this one. I'd love to say I'll just place next year, but I would really like to not be in the Athena group next year. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Regardless of that disappointment, I still had a great race, got a new tech t-shirt, and really enjoyed the whole experience!

5 comments:

Princess Fee said...

Wow - what a fantastic race and a brilliant time too!!!! Am so happy for you - and 2nd in your division (that is what I think anyway) - way to go!!!!! :D

MikeF. said...

You did great! Holy Cats! I was wondering what kind of physical therapy are you doing with your knee? Is the pain just from an old injury?

Richard said...

Sounds like a great race for you, so sorry about the mess up with your division--I'm sure that would drive me crazy, too.

Amanda said...

Thanks Princess Fee - I appreciate the support.

Mike F - I think my knee is an old injury flaring up, but I'm not entirely sure as it hurts in a different way. I had surgery on it in high school and I was fine until the DL 1/2 last year. I've been working on cross training and leg work to increase strength to all parts of my leg - until this weekend I thought it was working pretty well :)!

Thanks Richard - I'll be interested if I ever hear anything from the race director!

Rae! said...

Holy Cats!!! That is so awesome!!! I am so proud of you. Get that knee looked at before you can not run anymore.
Sorry I haven't been around lately, just fighting off personal demons.

It doesn't matter we all know where you placed!!!

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels