2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Food and Exercise Update

This has been a pretty good week for me. I feel really good about the effort I've put in to bettering myself and I just hope I can keep up this momentum.

My running has been feeling really good this week. I finally got back to doing speed work and while I was tired, it felt good to get back a little speed.

On my long run today I really concentrated on consistent speed. It's something I'm not good at and am working to improve. I have a tendency to let myself go to fast then slow down and not maintain a steady pace. I know it hurts me in the longer distances so I'm trying really hard to work at finding a pace and staying really close to that time for the full run. Six miles today at 12:12 and it was one of the steadiest paces I've kept in a long time and it helped me not have to walk.

I've also added in strength training in the form of P90X videos. I'm not a weight machine person so this works really well for me because it uses free weights, bands, chairs and pull up bars to provide the weight and resistance. While this is not the cheapest video set you can find - they are awesome. The pace is fast and focused and not only do your muscles get tired you'll feel it the next day. This was the first week I did the legs and back workout and my legs were burning and sore for the next two days!

I also did elliptical and bike sessions this week and I know these are helping my legs and hips and my cardio is so much better. It's amazing that I can run 6 miles and never get truly out of breath or have my lungs searing at the end - yeah, I know I'll have to pump up the speed a little bit more.

Other than being the good sore, my legs are doing pretty well. I still have sore times with my right shin and I can tell you exactly where that darn stress fracture is/was, but it's not too bad to run on right now. My left knee is still sore, but it didn't go out all week so that was a big plus.

I still struggle a bit with diet, but I feel like I'm doing better. I've been using the Lose It! iPhone application to track calories burned and calories consumed and it's helped me to adjust each day as needed. I'm not sticking to a strict 1200 calorie a day diet - instead I'm varying between 1200 and 1500 most days and I did have a cheat day this week where I hit 1900 calories. I guess I'll just have to see how the scale treats me Monday. I've actually been weighing every day, hoping that it will help keep me motivated. It does and it doesn't - I tend to hold a lot of water so my weight can actually fluctuate 3 - 5 pounds per day. It's crazy and some days it's a bit depressing, but I can look at my ankles and tell if it's water weight or something else going on. The good thing, I've noticed that my pants are fitting better so I know that something is working!

I hope everyone else has had a good week in terms of their workouts and diets. Let's all stay motivated and remember what our goals are!

4 comments:

Steph said...

You sound like you're in a really good place and doing everything you need to do to succeed. Keep it up!

Richard said...

I'd worry more about how the clothes fit than the scale, besides it's normal for most people to have their weight fluctuate like you and you shouldn't get hung up with the normal ups and downs.
You're definitely looking to be on the right track, keep up the good work!

MikeF. said...

Your doing great Amanda! Keep it up. And I agree with Richard. I had the same problem last year when I started running. My weight on the scale would just go up and down even though I kept to a strick diet. But when I was able to wear a size 33 pants(down from a size 38) I knew it was working.

Rae! said...

That all sounds great. My trainer would fuss if She knew you're on the scale everyday. Once a week. Keep up the great work.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels