2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Sunday, March 15, 2009

My Second Half Marathon Take Aways

Finishing my second Half Marathon was a great experience. I learned more about myself and my running again and I continue to learn how to be a better runner.

Some things I learned:
Training matters - I trained a lot harder for this race than my first and it made a huge difference

Rest is important - I think I over did it on the Saturday before the race. Doing the 5K was no big deal, but then walking around two parks after was probably more than I should have done. My feet were sore during the half and my feet don't usually hurt when I run.

Eating right is important - I know that I didn't eat as well as I should have. I think when I do my long runs at home I do better because I'm not eating such bad food. This is something I know I have to work on!

Drink, drink, drink - I know that you can drink too much, but I couldn't get enough during this race. That is unusual for me as I don't usually drink a lot while I run. It just goes to show that when you travel for a race you don't know how your body will react to the change in climate.

Watch your stride - This will vary from person to person too. I have found that my hips don't hurt at all when I don't lengthen my stride too far. I have also learned that when I have to walk I just have to increase my cadence while keeping my stride the same and that also saves my hips. I was able to complete this race without having the searing pain in my hips that I had during and after my first half marathon.

Don't underestimate yourself - As long as you think you can do it, you can! It's easy to stop believing in yourself and as long as you squash those feelings you can accomplish anything!

Stick to what you know - If you know how you run best at home then run that way at the race. Race day is not the time to try new things. If you're used to one type of gel and it doesn't bother you - don't try something you've never tried before or the results could be disaster.

I'm sure I'll think of other things later, but these are the ones that are really stuck in my head.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels