2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Saturday, February 7, 2009

What Happened After My First Half Marathon

So, what happens after you run your first half marathon? For me, it wasn't what I anticipated or what I thought I would do...

I got home and felt like I needed to rest my body. The half marathon took it's toll on my knees and hips and I didn't think I should rush back in to training. I took September and really used it to rest and relax. I did complete a few short training runs, but I wasn't serious about training or maintaining my fitness level.

I had been dieting so long before the races I had completed and depriving myself of the things I loved and I think I hit every fast food restaurant there was during the first couple of weeks after I got home from the race. I gained weight - I knew I was gaining weight and yet it didn't stop me from over indulging.

There were a couple of walks and a couple of run/walks in September and moving in to October. I had a 5K run on October 11th and then a 5K walk/run on October 12th. The 11th went okay - I had to run/walk the 5K, but I was starting to get my running form back. Then came October 12th and I was tired, but off a group of us went to do the Komen Race for the Cure 5K run. We did the run/walk routine again and I noticed that as I ran my right shin was a bit sore.

After that race I went back to my office to do some Halloween decorating and I sat on my knees and leaned back so I was resting on my shins and my right shin was so sore that I couldn't stay in that position. That's odd...

I did 5K's through October, but towards the end of the month I had to skip a race. In the beginning of November my leg is getting worse. I figured it was just shin splints, but it's not getting better and doesn't go away when I warm up. Finally, I head to the Orthopedic Surgeon. I've done the research and I'm pretty sure it's a stress fracture.

I have x-rays taken and of course nothing really shows up because stress fractures don't show up on x-rays until they've healed. The Dr. diagnoses me with a stress reaction in my right shin. No running for a month - bike and elliptical only. I try to stick to this plan, but I know I need to train for the Princess Half Marathon. I cut way down on the running but probably not enough - my leg is still bad in December.

I got very down and depressed and started eating bad and skipping runs, walks, Pilates, everything. Finally, the scale showed a number I never wanted to see again. Time to get serious.

So, it's January and I start training seriously again. My leg is still bad, but I've learned to run through it. I've promised myself that I will not run for a whole month after this half marathon - I just have to make it through the half marathon without it getting worse.

I will make it and then I will heal up. I have a lot of running goals coming up and I need this leg to get better so that I can do it!

The moral of the story - don't take too long to rest after you finish your first half marathon. If you do take time off, make sure you start back up slowly and re-build your distance and speed.

How am I going to avoid this after my second half marathon next month? I will be walking an 8K the weekend I get back from Florida and I will continue my gym workouts. I will replace my weekly runs with walks (I have dogs that need exercise too) for a month. Depending how I feel I will probably go back to the Orthopedic Dr. to have it evaluated again just to make sure I haven't done damage that needs to be corrected medically. I'm sure I'll be fine this time!

1 comments:

Jeff W. said...

I can relate to the post race down time. In the past year I finished a 20k and two halfs. I also did a 20k back in 2006. After each race I allowed some time for healing and somehow that time off turned into lazyness. I am working against that even now following the Disney half. I think this time I can overcome it. Coming back slowly can be frustrating but I know from past experience, that if you can get back to being consistant in your training it all comes back.

Having to listen to your body can be a challenge too. Sometimes you have to give yourself the mental permission to adjust your plan.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels