2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Thursday, February 26, 2009

2008 Minnie Marathon Weekend - Day 3

Sunday, May 4, 2008

The alarm clock rang at 4am this morning. I was out of bed by 4:05am. I took a quick shower and got dressed for the big race by 4:30am.

I had to head down to the hospitality suite to check in with Anthony Travel and get my package gift. The gift was rather nice - a stuffed princess Minnie Mouse, visor and towel. It was a quick stop, but they had a lovely continental breakfast setup and there were people coming in and out and chatting. I met a nice lady that has done 15 Disney endurance events - I appreciated her experience, but she was a bit of running snob. What do I mean? She was one of those people that felt that if you couldn't run fast enough then you shouldn't be running. The races are too open now and allow everyone to race. I bit my tongue since I was one of those people that wouldn't have made it with stricter timing requirements. I shrugged it off since I was just super excited to run my first race over 5 miles and at Disney no less!

I headed back to my room to drop off my stuff and grab my water and then it was out to the bus stop. There were a few people milling around and I started a conversation with a lovely woman (Judy) and her Mom. Very nice people, supportive, excited and interested in sharing stories.

The bus arrived at about 5:15am and we were on our way by 5:20am. We made it to Animal Kingdom at 5:45am. I am so glad I didn't try to drive - the line of cars and buses was crazy! I've never seen so many people at a race. Wow!

I headed straight to the porta-potty line and waited my turn. Once that business was taken care of I headed for the chutes. They had the chutes labeled with pace ranges and I found the 11 - 13 minute chute and took my place in the crowd.

I didn't do a lot of stretching this morning, just tried to keep my body loose. About 15 minutes to race time. I am anxious and there are people everywhere. There is a DJ and speakers just talking about random things. It's high energy and you can feel the people getting anxious and excited.

The countdown begins - 10 a firework, 9 a firework, 8 a firework, each number and then a firework up until one when we got two fireworks! And we're off.

It is super humid this morning and the sweat begins immediately. I start a chant that I will repeat to myself over and over again during this race. "I can do it, I can do it, I can really, really do it!" Sing this to the tune of "We Can Do It" from Cinderella. It's my motto and I think it really helps me.

Before we even get out of the Animal Kingdom parking lot (which is super long by the way) a man loudly complains of the humidity and says he doesn't have that in Illinois. I had to reply - Try Phoenix! I mean really, he thinks he doesn't deal with humidity - I come from the land of "It's a dry heat!"

I'm a little stiff in the beginning and I have to find a rhythm, but before long I'm feeling good. There are people and volunteers everywhere and I love the way they are cheering us on.

I reach mile 3, 4, 5 and pretty soon we're headed in to Hollywood Studios. This part of the run is super fun - the cast and volunteers are great and having so much fun. They cheer, they chant, they tease, they tell jokes - it's great! It helps me keep going as I start to feel a bit tired.

Six miles, seven miles...I'm running next to a woman that must be twice my age - it humbles me and makes me proud of her at the same time. She looks at me and says - we're almost there! I really like her, she's got spunk.

We continue on around the Boardwalk and the Yacht and Beach Club and then we're headed in Epcot through the International Gateway. Two miles to go and I'm still running - no walking breaks so far.

Every time I want to walk I just repeat my mantra and it keeps me going. I'm almost around World Showcase now and I'm headed in to Future World. Now I'm almost to Spaceship Earth. My Garmin just told me I'm done but I have to keep going.

I'm out of Epcot and I pick up the pace as much as I can and I run it to the finish line! I feel incredibly spent, but I feel incredible.

I think I finished in about 1 hr 44 mins. It's slower than I wanted, but I ran the whole thing - I didn't even walk when I drank my water.

I'm so proud of everything that I've accomplished. I just can't believe I came here and I did this!

My chip was removed, I grabbed water and Powerade and then I stood in line to get my picture taken with my finisher's medal.

I have to say I'm soaking wet with sweat as I board the bus. Yuck, but it's also great! A sense of accomplishment that I'll never forget. You really can do anything if you put your mind to it.

I sat on the bus and sent a couple of text messages. Then Judy and her Mom boarded the bus and then everyone on the bus started talking. It was nice to discuss the race with others. We came from all over the US - California, Arizona, Florida, etc...It's so cool that running can bring so many people together.

I was back in my room by 8:30am. I had to eat some peanut butter and crackers and some snack mix washed it all down with Powerade and water and was feeling pretty good. I took a nice shower and soaked in the tub for a bit and just relaxed a bit.

At about 10:30am I got dressed to go to Typhoon Lagoon. I headed out to the bus and was on my way by 11am - right on schedule (oh wait, I don't really have a schedule this trip). I entered Typhoon Lagoon rented a towel and a locker and headed straight to the lazy river. I think I must have spent over an hour just floating round and round the river. It was warm and lovely and I could really feel my joints relax.

I headed to the wave pool and caught 8 - 10 waves. Basically, I just let them carry me away. I have to say the water wasn't overly warm though. Since I was already a little chilled, I headed over to Shark Reef. I got a snorkel and headed in. It was okay, there didn't seem to be many fish though.

I just had to do it. I had to go try Crush N Gusher. I tried two coasters and they were a lot of fun. I really enjoyed them - it is kind of strange though and make sure you keep your tush up.

After all that fun I decided it was time to head back to the hotel and change then head out to Downtown Disney. It was about 3pm when I got on the bus back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge. When I got back to the resort I ran in to the Chi Runners and we had a nice chat about the race. Apparently, I am all ready for the half marathon at Disneyland since I ran the whole way today - oh, I hope so.

I changed my clothes and headed down to Mara to get some food - I was completely starving. Shrimp, fries, cheesecake and water - YUM! It was very good and I was stuffed.

At 5:30pm I headed back down to the but to head for Downtown Disney. I shopped a bit to much - as usual. I still have no idea how I'm getting all this stuff home. Darn airlines and their silly luggage allowances.

I was back on the bus to the resort at 8pm and back in my room by 8:30pm. I couldn't get my Internet to connect, but I didn't want to waste my time on it so I put it aside. I headed down to Zawadi to grab more water and a snack.

It's been a wonderful day and I'm happy and tired. This has been a great race weekend and I'm so glad I did it.

I'm off to Pop Century tomorrow and to a park - I just don't know which park...It'll be a surprise for sure!

2 comments:

Rae! said...

That was close to my time what did you wear? I wore my aatm shirt.

Steph said...

I'm really enjoying reading about your Minnie Half-Marathon experience.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels