2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Friday, February 20, 2009

2008 Minnie Marathon Weekend - Day 1

Friday, May 2, 2008

Today started way to early when the alarm went off at 3am. I was up and ready to go by 3:20am - good thing too, the Super Shuttle guy was at the door at 3:25am and it was off to the airport. No traffic and nothing interesting on the ride and I was at the airport quickly.

The airport was like a ghost town - there was no one there. Southwest check in counters didn't even have any employees there. It was just before 4am. At about 4:15am the kiosks were opened and I easily checked my bag. Off to security and there's no line - it's 4:40am and I'm sitting at the gate. I check some work stuff and then settle in to read.

I cannot believe I'm traveling to go run in races...That is something I never would have said even a year ago. It's just crazy to me.

I'm on the plane to St. Louis and we're almost there and the plane is starting to descend. I can only see clouds below the plane right now.

This last year has been such a journey. Who would have ever guessed that I would be paying money to go to Walt Disney World to run? Certainly not me.

The last few weeks have been rough, but my diet has suffered, but even with that I've kept running. I'm up to 10 mile long runs now and I'll be racing in a 15K (9.3 miles) this weekend. It's still so strange to me as I'm not athletic, nor have I ever been athletic. I tend to wonder how different my life might have been if I would have started running at a younger age. It's strange that it has taken me 34 years to finally take care of myself and realize that I can do anything if I just try. In fact, when I get back I think I'll start biking and swimming so that I can try a Tri - just a sprint one, nothing fancy. I'm hoping that will keep me motivated for the Half Marathon in August and give me something on the horizon to keep me going. I've got to get my eating back under control as I've been a menace with the food lately.

Back to my year long journey...I've lost weight, started running, started renovating my house and am still at the same job over five years later. Let's not forget that I have many loved ones that I miss daily. All in all it's been a heck of a ride and I hope I can keep it up.

The plane is in a holding pattern to land - soon I hope. I'm ready to be on the second leg of the trip to Orlando. It's going to be a busy day. Oh, we're holding for Airforce One - the president is leaving.

Now, I'm in St Louis and we're 10 minutes early. All in all a pretty uneventful flight. Hopefully, the next segment will be the same.

The St Louis airport is not where I want to be, but it is where I'm stuck. Our First Officer was supposed to be here from Chicago but his flight was grounded due to weather so we can't leave. It's been over an hour and we still have no idea when we're going to be leaving. It's 12:30pm and we should have been leaving. No luck yet. This is going to make tonight a little tough.

We're back on the plane and still waiting for our First Officer. The motto of the day has been "In 10 to 15 minutes" as that's what we've been told for the past couple of hours. I'm pretty sure I won't be making it to packet pickup today. That means I'll have to do late packet pickup in the morning and then go to the expo tomorrow. Not ideal, but it'll have to work.

Finally, we're descending in to Orlando. It'll be 5:05pm when we land. I assume I won't make it to Animal Kingdom Lodge until after 6pm so I'll just take my time checking in. Man, this not planning is rough on my nerves.

I'm supposed to do the Illuminations dessert party tonight, but right now I'm super tired and I'll have to decide when I get in whether or not I want to be out til after 10pm when I have a 5K in the morning.

It's 5:45pm and I'm on the Magical Express. I've never done the Magical Express before, but I have to say it was pretty easy. I got my suitcase from baggage check and headed straight down to line up for the bus. I was on the bus in just a couple of minutes. I have to wait for the bus to fill up and that takes about 20 minutes or so. First stop Pop Century, second stop Coronado Springs, third stop Animal Kingdom Lodge - yeah, that's me. At this rate I doubt I'll make it to the dessert party. Oh well, I need to hydrate and get my feet up.

6:15pm we're at Pop Century, 6:25pm we're at Coronado Springs. 6:35pm Animal Kingdom Lodge.

Check in was quick and easy and I was in my room a little before 7pm. My room is up the stairs from Zawadi Marketplace. I have a non-existent view, but the room is nice. The room feels a little small, but I think it's because of all the dark colors. I wouldn't stay here again without getting a savannah view as it's not good looking at construction (soon to be the new DVC rooms). There is a small balcony that looks out on a strange walkway/roof area. I can see some animal shaped things off in the distance - maybe I'll be able to see them in the light. I love the sticker on the patio door that says "Cameras in use close drapes for privacy" - it's just too funny. I'm thinking that some security folks have had some great shows!

I decided to skip Epcot and the Illuminations dessert party because I am hungry and tired. I headed down to Mara to get some dinner. Nothing fancy burger, fries, cookie, water. It was good and it filled me up.

Despite the President making us circle, the First Officer being grounded and then having to circle for the President and the really long day I am super glad to have made it to Orlando.

It's almost 9pm and I'm still waiting for my luggage. A drawback of Magical Express obviously and I'm hoping it shows up soon. I plan on going down to Zawadi to get some more water and as I reach for the door, my luggage shows up! I tipped the bellhop and headed out for water.

Back in the room water and snacks in hand. I set out my race clothes for the morning and sat down to watch part of the Incredibles. Soon I'll have to sleep because 5am is going to come early.

Tomorrow the Go Red for Women 5K!!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels