2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Disneyland 2008 1/2 Marathon Trip - Day 2

Saturday, August 30, 2008

The wake up call came at 5:00am and then the cell phone at 5:15am. I had to drag myself out of bed and straight to the shower. My legs are still a little swollen, but much better today than yesterday. I got all setup and ready to go and headed out the door at 5:50am. The race was scheduled to start at 7:00am.

It was still dark when I left the hotel and started the walk to the 5K Family Fun Run. I decided to turn my Garmin on and surprisingly it picked up the satellites very quickly. The weather was a bit cool, but not bad at all. As I headed over I just sort of wandered around a little bit - there were quite a few people starting to gather and I decided to walk towards the start line where the action was a little bit more energetic.
I clocked the distance from the hotel to the parking lot and it was about .68 miles.

I stretched out a little bit - I don't tend to stretch much before running as I'm used to heading out the door by 4am during the workdays and just starting with a gentle walk is enough to get me going.

I kept creeping up a little closer to the start every few minutes. I don't want to start right at the front because I'm certainly not the fastest runner out there, but I found a nice spot about half way up where I met a very nice couple. They were both older than me and I'm always so happy to see all ages out and participating. Turns out this couple plan on attending the Princess Half Marathon weekend. They thought they might do the 5K and see about volunteering for the half - I encouraged them as I know how much we need nice folks to volunteer on the race courses!
Was it any surprise that they were going to WDW in March? I mean really, I wonder how many people here aren't going - yes, I said aren't going :)! It is a Disney race after all.

The 5K was starting in the Timon parking lot and there were 4000 people signed up for this race. That's more people than the 15K at WDW in May. That was the biggest 5K I'd been to yet.

Just a quick note - by this point I have completed over 15 5K's, 2 8K's, and the 15K. Still I was amazed by the number of people here.
We were all standing around and there were people leading the chicken dance, doing the wave and just asking questions about how many first time racers, how many were doing the half tomorrow, etc..Everyone was really enjoying themselves and the mood was light and fun.
They started the countdown at 10 and they let red, blue and yellow paper streamers off at the starting line. Then - WE WERE OFF!

As usual, it was a little slow in the beginning, but thankfully it didn't last too long. The pack thinned out nicely and before you know you're in Disneyland. On Main Street we got to see Gepetto and Pinocchio with their float - I think there were other characters there too. We continued running and I remember seeing future world where Nemo, Dory and Marlin were cheering us on with their people in wetsuit costumes.

Somewhere along the course I remember seeing the Little Mermaid. Then we came across the Mark Twain and there were characters lining all the decks - Pluto, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Pocahontas, Jasmine, Donald and I know there were more. We ran through the castle - at least that's what the course map said - I'm really bad at taking in details while running. I guess I should start carrying a camera to at least highlight the high points.

After the castle we were headed out of Disneyland and across the way to California Adventure. Atta and Flik were out in A Bug's Land. As we continued to through the park we came across Mr and Mrs Incredible and Jack Jack on a huge float. Sully and Boo and other monsters were out by the Monster's Inc ride as well.

Next came Paradise Pier - be prepared for the hills in this park. It's not that they are huge, but you'll notice them. I do know I managed to run the whole hill - yeah. In fact, I kept running the whole time. I wasn't sure that was going to happen, but it's amazing what race adrenaline will do for you.

Soon we were headed back out of California Adventure and coming to the end of our 5K journey. I saw that I was almost to the end so I decided to kick it up a bit and run it out to the very end as best as I could.
I was happy with my time. 33:33 - that's a about 10:24 per mile. It's much faster than I've been training, but I can usually handle that pace for short runs. Still with the way I was feeling it was a good start to the race weekend.


We received a plastic finisher's medal (sorry about the quality on this picture). After I grabbed my medal I stopped to get my picture taken. You can see that the 5K had me red in the face - yep, I was that out of shape.
I did grab a Powerade, Water and a banana for later. They had a few booths setup and I grabbed a Luna bar, fruit twists and a Powerade Zero.
So that was the end of my first 5K at Disneyland and I decided to head out and go back to the hotel.
Okay, so how serious can a runner be if they stop at McDonald's to grab breakfast on the way back to their room. Well, that's what I did because it was quick and convenient. I was back in my room by 8:30am and after breakfast it was about 9:30am and I decided to take a nap. That was my plan all along - to rest the whole day after the 5K.
Well, by 1:30pm I was up again. I know, I can be very lazy and when I hit a hotel and have some down time I use it. When I got up I noticed that my legs were almost back to normal size - YEAH! I took a nice bath and read and relaxed some more.
No nasty comments, at 4:30pm I headed back out to McDonald's to grab a burger for dinner. It seemed like I stood in line forever to order and then get my food. Then back to the hotel to eat. It was okay and it filled me up - I mean come on, it's just a burger nothing gourmet. Hey, it's all about some carbs and protein tonight anyway. Fuel for the race tomorrow.
Now I'm getting ready for bed so I can get some sleep for tomorrow. I can do this! I tried some of the techniques from the sessions at the Expo during the 5K and I have to say I was more in tune with how I felt than I normally am. If I can keep my pace quiet and keep checking in with myself tomorrow I'm sure I'll do just fine. Think positive - get ready for tomorrow - visualize finishing (no getting swept) - go to bed.
Oh my gosh, I'm participating in my first half marathon tomorrow!

1 comments:

Rae! said...

Nice race report. So the hotels are not to far away. Cool.
I sent deb a e-mail and asked her to add you to the list for the Princess. SO far it is me, Kate And Fiona from Scotland doing the Princess half.
Where are you going to be staying?? WE are working out the details and I will post them.
stanggirl022003@yahoo.com is my e-mail and we can get you on our mass Team Voice listing for the challenges we do, for the weekly ones and, Monthly.

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels