2017 Training Stats

Miles Completed = 29.01
(Run/Walked = 29.01, Biked = 0.0, Elliptical = 0.0)

Countdowns!

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Disneyland 2008 1/2 Marathon Trip - Day 1 Part 2

Friday, August 29, 2008 Continued...

Once I took a few minutes to freshen up from my travels I headed straight out to walk to the Expo. The walk wasn't too bad from the Howard Johnson to the Disneyland Hotel Convention Center. I was pretty happy with the hotel location overall. It wasn't super close, but a manageable walk that only took a few minutes. Now, I am from Arizona, and California is much more humid than home and the walk did cause me to work up a bit of a sheen let's say.

The signage was easy to follow and I found the location to pick up my bib and chip for the half marathon quickly. There was no line so the process was smooth and easy. I then headed over to the 5K section to get my bib - no chip for this one. All the way on the other side of the Expo they had a whole area set up for getting your goody bags, t-shirts, tech shirts, etc...Again, the process was well staffed and there were only a few people picking things up so getting everything only took a couple of minutes. A note here - they were not strict about giving you the same size shirt that you requested when you registered. I was able to change mine with no questions asked.

Next stop, the pin pickup area. This was a little bit more confusing the way it was set up, but there were lots of staff/volunteers around to point you to the right line. Thankfully I had my receipts with me as when I got there they only showed me having one pin when I had ordered two. It took a little digging but we finally found my second record and I had both pins in hand.

I walked around the Expo looking at all the different booths and merchandise available. I was doing this trip as inexpensively as possible so I didn't purchase anything, but there was a lot of great stuff to be had if you were so inclined. I was really just killing time as there were a couple of speakers that I really wanted to see.

The first session I attended was a visualization session. It was a great session, very relaxing, uplifting and encouraging. After attending this one I felt a little more at peace and more confident that I could do this. They did some simple breathing exercises and relaxation techniques, then the speaker took us through each mile of the race while we had our eyes closed and supposedly were hypnotized. No, I wasn't hypnotized, but I still got a lot out of the session. It was great to hear what to expect for each mile and where to take stock of your body and mind. If you see a session like this at an Expo keep an open mind and give it a try - you never know you may actually like it.

The second session I attended was Danny Dreyer's Chi Running. I was super excited to see this as I learned about the technique at the Minnie Marathon Weekend when I shared a van ride with an instructor that presented at that Expo. I was intrigued and thought it may be a good technique for me to learn. I think the principles are sound and when you have someone show you how aligning your body makes you feel more solid and harder to expose the weaknesses you have it could really be amazing. We did an exercise where you partnered up with one other person and you learned how to align your shoulders, hips, knees, and ankles. Then you learn how to hold your head, curve your spine, tilt your pelvis and everything else the technique teaches. Then your partner would press on your shoulders when you just stood there without aligning and you felt like you would collapse, but when you were aligned the person could push all they wanted and you wouldn't budge. Very cool. I was lucky, my partner was the previous speaker and he was also a Chi Running instructor so he was able to give me a lot of pointers. Chi Running also teaches you to use gravity, use your lean and feel like you're falling. It's something I wanted to try more when this race was over.

There weren't any other sessions I wanted to stay around for so I walked the booths one more time just to soak it all in and then I headed out. I didn't know what I wanted to do for dinner so as I was walking back to the hotel I spotted a Quiznos and stopped in to grab a sandwich. Then it was a short walk back to the hotel and a stop at the store to grab some water. I was back in my room by 5:20pm.

Dinner was okay and I logged in and did some work. Then it was time to start getting my stuff ready for the 5K in the morning. I like to get my bib on my shirt and set out everything I'm going to need for the race so I don't have to think early in the morning.

By the time I was all done it was 9:00pm and it was time to get some sleep. The 5K in the morning will be a good test to see how Sunday would go. I'm still pretty swollen and I can only hope it doesn't hurt my running too much. The goal - don't get swept!

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Enjoying your reports. Rae is planning to visit Disneyland this year for the half. I'll pass you blog address on to her.

Rae! said...

So why were your swollen??

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave comments.

Blog Archive

Labels